Thread: Brown bear Ursus artocs

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown bear Ursus arctos arctos

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II
    Auto ISO 32000 + 0.3, 1/500 sec f4

This is daddy bear, I am curious to gauge your opinions on this one. All C&C welcome (he was dark brown - almost grizzly edges to his fur!!)
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 07-05-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, ISO32k not bad for the 1DX, wonder how it would compare to the MK2. I think it was good for you to try it, but I personally would not hold breath on it going beyond web size. But kudos in pushing things.

Personally perhaps a tad more below, but then I guess you were restricted to the aperture of the hide??? Good looking male in good condition, similar to the 1000LBS male we encountered in Katmai, and that was with a 16-35 lens fun... I like the stance, legs open and the slightly open jaw adds.

So, from the RAW this was my take, no idea on colouring, just had to go back to when I shoot this in Finland many moons ago. I did take the liberty to address the light patch top right, apart from that converted in LR, Exported to PSCC for some simple adjustments, back to LR for web export. I think there is more you can tease out from the head???

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - That looks like a big boar. Looks good at this size for ISO 32000. I like what Steve has done but presume from your intro that the bear was a bit darker. I also like that neither tree is intersecting the bear and the trees seem to balance the comp.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Rachel. I happy that neither of you thought it was outrageously bad!
    You did a good job there Steve - not bad for a Mk II owner! I originally had background colours like yours but decided I would lower magenta - which ended up actually being yellow - should have left it! I think I prefer your background, the bear looks great but he was genuinely darker.
    That pale patch I think was a birch stump, in my very first conversion I eliminated it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did a good job there Steve - not bad for a Mk II owner!
    Jon, I processed it in the same way as all my files, nothing different, as it's just understanding Canon's files, however at times, (as I've said before), I will shoot in a way specific to how I will process the file - thinking ahead.

I originally had background colours like yours but decided I would lower magenta - which ended up actually being yellow
    Jon, do you mean via the Tint, or within the Colour management as no Magenta was added, if anything, that part of the spectrum may have been reduced.

the bear looks great but he was genuinely darker.
    Yep, I guessed so, more 'Green & Black' than 'Cadbury's', but that for me is an easy fix, it's the overall aspect, appreciate the opportunity to have a play, cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I originally had background colours like yours but decided I would lower magenta - which ended up actually being yellow
    Jon, do you mean via the Tint, or within the Colour management as no Magenta was added, if anything, that part of the spectrum may have been reduced.

It was probably at initial conversion a hundred degrees variance of colour temperature made a significant difference, I reduced a bit of magenta at RAW conversion then in PS I reduced magenta again but the "Magentas" when sampled were in fact "Yellow".

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It was probably at initial conversion a hundred degrees variance of colour temperature made a significant difference, I reduced a bit of magenta at RAW conversion then in PS I reduced magenta again but the "Magentas" when sampled were in fact "Yellow".
    Welcome to the world of 'colour' Jon - what you think is right, sometimes is not, but always best to do your main colour adjustments at the RAW stage!!! Confusing isn't it.

If you don't sleep well I can recommend a really good book.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon what a bummer .....The bear
    I do love the expression on its face and the posture he is in .
    Well timed .Wow you pushed the 1Dx further than i ever did ....brave boy ...i never went higher than 25k .At this size the IQ does look ok ...
    As posted the colors do look a bit flat and Steve made them look nicer and more interesting in his RP .....just watch the odd colors you have in the dark shadows , i bet this is coming from lifting them . Looks like red/magenta .
    Contrast might be a bit heavy and you have heavy clipping in the darks ...as posted . I might also try to lower the sharpening a fraction .....
    Still a lovely looking bear frame ...you might try to experiment with the PP , but in small steps ...no that drastic changes , please

TFS Andreas