Thread: Snowy Egret with live shrimp

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Egret with live shrimp

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the 2016 Fall Fort DeSoto IPT with the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and my favorite bird photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/1600 sec. at f/5.6. Daylight WB.

Right Large Zone/AI Servo/Shutter button AF was active at the moment of exposure. The system activated a single AF point that fell on squarely on the base of the bird’s bill. This image was cropped from below and from behind.

In the blog post here, lots of folks are struggling to answer my three questions. I'd love it if some BPN folks visited and took a crack at them. They deal with noise, noise reduction, and exposure. There is a lot to learn ...

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments and suggestions are welcome.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the white bird against the dark green BG. Shrimp is nice and sharp, but I do wish for more DOF (bird more parallel to the sensor plane?) and maybe more detail in the whites.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,

My first thought was exactly what Bill thought, more DoF, as you could have easily upped the ISO to compensate. Personally I just feel the lack of detail in the whites is not ideal, I would like to have seen some definition there, it's almost to the point where only the head, beak and fish are revealed form the NR mask to my eyes, smoothing out everything else??? As presented I might be inclined to shave a sliver off the top, going for a 16 x 10, RIP (rest in pro).

Question: Did you have HTP set here or not, if not have you tried it in a situation like this???

I'd love it if some BPN folks visited and took a crack at them. They deal with noise, noise reduction, and exposure.
    Sadly Artie I use LR and it's NR within the Module, as for Exposure, just do as you have been preaching - ETTR/manual mode, the best two nuggets IMHO. Makes for cleaner files and easy to PP.