Thread: Black-necked Stilt with chicks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-necked Stilt with chicks

Nothing special here, and pretty harsh light too... But still was pretty cute watching how the 4 little chicks got themselves huddling under Mommy :)

Nikon D4, 600mm f/4G with 1.4 TC (TC-14E II), 840mm, f/6.3, 1/1600 sec, 1250 ISO, monopod

Name:  170629_351_SanJoaquin-Edit.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  262.5 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat behavior but there is something funky with the JPEG. Even though the RGB values for the WHITEs are (only) in the mid-240s there is no detail and I used all of my tricks to tease some out without success ... Me thinks that this image was a big over-exposure that you tried to save ... Background clean-up mostly with the Patch Tool. When you 85 degrees off sun angle on a clear day you are D-E-A-D dead.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Neat behavior but there is something funky with the JPEG. Even though the RGB values for the WHITEs are (only) in the mid-240s there is no detail and I used all of my tricks to tease some out without success ... Me thinks that this image was a big over-exposure that you tried to save ... Background clean-up mostly with the Patch Tool. When you 85 degrees off sun angle on a clear day you are D-E-A-D dead.

with love, artie
    Thanks Artie... Yes, the light was really harsh and a bad angle too, and the whites were indeed overexposed a bit, though not much more than what you see in the picture. To compare, below is the crop straight converted to JPEG with no other adjustments. And sure, could have used the patch tool to clean up the BG. I guess I typically don't spend too much time on post-processing, unless I feel like I truly have a special image that deserves a lot more time in post. This image was not one of them :)

Name:  170629_351_SanJoaquin-Edit-2.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  197.1 KB

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post