Thread: Florida Burrowing Owlet with Lizard

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Burrowing Owlet with Lizard

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image in early May on Marco Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 320mm
    1/1000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 400 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I like the placement and the fact you can see the lizard slowly disappearing.

I feel the light was quite harsh and so I might try to address the exposure certainly in the FG to get some more depth within the image. I also think you needed more SS as the detail appears lacking in the head, so I wonder if there was some slight movement, especially compared to some of your recent postings????

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Steve about the light. Still cool shot of this owl with a lizard.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, I like the placement and the fact you can see the lizard slowly disappearing.

I feel the light was quite harsh and so I might try to address the exposure certainly in the FG to get some more depth within the image. I also think you needed more SS as the detail appears lacking in the head, so I wonder if there was some slight movement, especially compared to some of your recent postings????

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. I read your post and visited the image again. I started after the conversion of the RAW file to the 16 bit TIFF. I reduced a very slight amount of noise which let me increase the sharpening on the bird without artifacts. I added a small reverse S curve to tone down the harsh light (8:40 AM in Florida), about an hour and a half after sunrise. I burnt the foreground to tone down that area where the sand and detritus is. After that I sharpened the bird, increasing the sharpening and carefully masking. Here is a repost of the image.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe, The repost is definitely an improvement. I do not think that there would be any motion blur at 1/1000 sec. with an image like this ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly an improvement Joe, remember you can vary amounts of exposure and placement, so it doesn't have to be Global, as you try to create a '3D' effect from a 2D capture. Happy to look at it More, if you want to fire it off?

I do not think that there would be any motion blur at 1/1000 sec. with an image like this ...
    Artie I just thought being on a mono pod there may have been a slight movement, as the 'critical' sharpness is lacking on the head. Joe has posted some cracking, 'sharp' images recently hence my thought.

10. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, Good point on the monopod; I just don't get them ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hey Steve, Good point on the monopod; I just don't get them ...

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, I have you by four years in age so the body is not what it once was. Also about ten years ago I was diagnosed with a auto-immune disease that causes weak muscles with repeated activity, Myasthenia Gravis ( the reason I had to stop playing golf). So I go with the lightest rig I can capture good images with, small crop body and a zoom lens. Handholding I have trouble keeping the focus point in the correct spot. The monopod allows me to hold the focus point while it supports the weight of the camera. Also I like to move when photographing, whether walking to find a subject or moving to get ahead of a bird as it may walk along the surf line. The monopod also allows me to try different angles and heights for the best image. Anyways, thanks for all the help and advice you share... hoping this explains why I do things a little differently.

Best Regards, Joe
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joe for the very 'personal' and frank insight.

Just a thought, but have you tried resting the foot of the Monopod on your foot, you may find it helps, obviously at the front part . You may find it steady's things more and overall, more stable, however I'm sure your own technique that works, tried and tested over the years.

Once again, many thanks

15. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice capture, by you and the owl. The lizard definitely a plus. Repost helps.

17. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat dining capture, Joe. Like the clenched talon as he is about to assist with it, or already has, in eating the lizard. Nice job on the repost.

Geoffrey

http://http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

19. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. I kept working on the image, tweaking here and there, revisiting the sharpening etc.. Here is as good as I think it can be. They say three's a charm. Thanks again everyone.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Artie, I have you by four years in age so the body is not what it once was. Also about ten years ago I was diagnosed with a auto-immune disease that causes weak muscles with repeated activity, Myasthenia Gravis ( the reason I had to stop playing golf). So I go with the lightest rig I can capture good images with, small crop body and a zoom lens. Handholding I have trouble keeping the focus point in the correct spot. The monopod allows me to hold the focus point while it supports the weight of the camera. Also I like to move when photographing, whether walking to find a subject or moving to get ahead of a bird as it may walk along the surf line. The monopod also allows me to try different angles and heights for the best image. Anyways, thanks for all the help and advice you share... hoping this explains why I do things a little differently.

Best Regards, Joe
    Hi Joe, Thanks for the e-mail. If you'd like to get in touch with my health guy via Skype in San Diego shoot me an e-mail. He is way, way, way smarter than all the Western medicine docs ...

with love, artie

ps: the first 30-minute consult is free if you mention my name :)