Thread: Bobolink

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bobolink

Attached Images Attached Images

Previously I posted an image of a Bobolink with some nice habitat in the background. This is the same bird but it had flown closer to me and perched up a little higher on the same type of vegetation. The background is the distant grassland. From Shwangunk National Grasslands in NY. Taken a few weeks back as he was busy displaying and calling while flying from perch to perch. As with the other photo the sun was a little higher in the sky but was lighting up the bird very well and gave great details in the dark plumage. I have many photos of the front of this bird but was really after a shot like this as the side and back view is what you want on a male Bobolink.

Canon 1dx and 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 1000, F7.1, SS 1/3200. Tripod mounted.

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, Looks good, nice and sharp, sweet BG and HA, I would prefer it up higher in frame if you have room but if not, o.k.

-Tim

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good one, Isaac. I agree this is a great pose to show the Bobolink in his full breeding splendor. I like the comp, and the grassland BG.

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one, Isaac. A bird I have never photographed (puts it on my bucket list). I agree with Tim maybe a little higher would balance the image. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

7. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the position of the bird in the frame. I think the perch forking out adds to the image. Lovely pose, HA and detail. The BG shows the bird perfectly.

Will

9. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sleek, and yes, a bit too much room above the bird. You might try a true 2 X 3 ... As for the bird, sleek and handsome.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

11. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work, Isaac. Beautiful light on this beauty, and I like the delicate perch. Excellent calling pose and fine detail.

Geoffrey

http://http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

13. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. I do not have more room at the bottom. Bird landed there very quickly, I got a few shots off with the 1dx and then it went on its way. Got the eye centered but that put the body on the bottom of the frame. I will crop some of the top off. Thanks for the critique. This is exactly what I am looking for and why I love this site so much.