Thread: sleepy sleepy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default sleepy sleepy

Name:  Sleepy-seal-pup.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  383.9 KB

I've been silly busy at work these last fe weeks and the theme deadline crept up on me, so I had to choose between a pup and a sleeping adult. The cute factor won! Sadly unable to get any lower, but maybe a blessing this time with the positioning of the dug up sand. Minor rotation, otherwise FF

Canon 1DX
    500mm f4 is
    ISO 3200
    1/1250th f7.1

Mike

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - I'm glad you got in one under the deadline. I think the pov works, like looking down on a sleeping baby. Cute factor is definitely present with nice details and sharpness. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent details & sharpness with high cuteness factor Mike. TFS.

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was this at Donna Mike, hence the angle/POV?

Agree on the sharpness, but it appears to be on the body fur rather than the eye/face. If it was on the eye there would be far more detail even if in the soft fur. I would have liked more DoF as you can see how quickly the front paw tails of compared to the body here and upping the ISO as you know, isn't a problem. Depending on your 'ethics' Mike, I would address the slight curved line in the BKG, quite easy and you would have continuity too.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Was this at Donna Mike, hence the angle/POV?

Agree on the sharpness, but it appears to be on the body fur rather than the eye/face. If it was on the eye there would be far more detail even if in the soft fur. I would have liked more DoF as you can see how quickly the front paw tails of compared to the body here and upping the ISO as you know, isn't a problem. Depending on your 'ethics' Mike, I would address the slight curved line in the BKG, quite easy and you would have continuity too.

TFS
    Steve
    Yep, Doona again, I might have a trip to Norfolk at some time to see if the angles there are any better.

The eye has puzzled me a little on this one. The active AF point is just slightly above the eye, level horizontally with the 'eyebrow' hairs, so it should be pretty much on the money with the settings, but I agree the body looks more detailed. I was putting it down to the head fur having that baby-soft 'downy' look, as the pup can only be a couple of days old.

I did consider the mark you mention, I was split 50/50 on removing it.

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I might have a trip to Norfolk at some time to see if the angles there are any better.
    If it's on the beach then yes, but depends on where you go.

The active AF point is just slightly above the eye, level horizontally with the 'eyebrow' hairs,
    Well as you can see there is a difference, to be sure you would need to do a calibration test to confirm things. I just took a shot of a female grey seal from a moving boat, eye is spot on, nose well out and that was f/8 approx 70ft away, but I just needed more DoF nothing to do with calibration. I would run a test to see, as we tested four brand new 5DMKIV's about 5 months ago and they were all out with the same lens.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike -- Yes, very cute , and angle is not a problem IMO, agree regarding the sharpness with what Steve has to say, overall you have done nicely . TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So sweet. At first, in the thumbnail, I though it was a puppy! The fur is very similar and you captured the details of it.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture, the pose makes this image for me

Well exposed and I like the framing. I just wish for more DoF Mike, because of the paw:)

Love those kinks in the fur and the almost immaculate look of the pup, another title comes to mind: "Innocence Sleeping"

Thank you so much for sharing, I truly enjoyed viewing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea