Thread: Bachman's Sparrow

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bachman's Sparrow

Attached Images Attached Images

Wednesday morning Dottie and I went to Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area in Kenansville, Florida. I knew of it but had never been there before. The Prairie Lakes Unit is mostly dry prairies with wiregrass, Palmettos, and short shrubs, a few Pine trees are scattered about. We were hoping to see Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, Bachman's Sparrows, and Grassland Sparrows. We did see many sparrows but only fleeting glimpses as they flew and dove into Palmettos disappearing from view. This sparrow as shown was perched on one of the nesting boxes that placed in numerous locations. I wish the bird had chosen a different perch, not to be. I do think the weathering and lichens add to the image. I am only recently getting into photographing sparrows and identifying them, if my identification is incorrect please tell me. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 1/3 ISO 720, image captured from inside the vehicle through the open window
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
    Cropped slightly for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe. Sparrow ID is a real challenge, at least for me. Shoot first and ask questions later. I've never seen a Bachman's, but your ID seems plausible; maybe someone else will chime in. Good and sharp on the bird. Granted, a different perch would be better next time.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe, You did the best that you could with the ugly-assed nest box :) As for the ID, I do not know but do know that I have never seen or photographed Bachman's Sparrow so that probably makes you correct as they are there :)

Are you any good with beach plants?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird is Bachman's Sparrow for sure. That is the best place for them in the state. And unless it is early in the season and the are actively displaying then at most you get what you described. I went there 5 times over the years in the winter looking for them but only got fleeting glimpses as you describe as the dove into the palmetto. Went there in April once and had them singing and displaying all over.

As Arthur says you did as well as you could with the perch. If mine I would clone out the out of focus plant that is on the right of the box and almost touching the tail. Despite the large number of trips of that I took there I never managed to see the Florida race of Grasshopper Sparrow.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe,

A beautiful looking sparrow this is. Not seen one before, but after doing some research I think you have the correct ID. Excellent detail and good exposure.

Geoffrey

http://http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post