Thread: 5 D mk IV or used I dX

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 5 D mk IV or used I dX

Hy, I'm planing to upgrade my camera, and I can't decide between the Canon 5 d mk IV or the 1 Dx. Early in June I tried a 5 d in Wien, took about 100 pictures, sadly I forgot to choose Raw and shot jpeg, but I really liked the results and the feel of the camera in my hands. Off course the subjects were people, some at close range, not skitish roe deers or rabbits. Now the 5 D I could buy brand new, there is a good offer in my country, but the 1 dx only used, a new one is out of my price range. I managed to find some on Amazon and E-bay, the german version. Has anyone bought from these sites? I cant buy from BH because of the shipping costs, VAT and import fees, which would raise the price a lot. I'm not an avid birder, I would like to focus on larger mamals, static and action shots. Off course, if the opportunity of a BIF appears, I would gladly give it a go, but it wouldn't be my main objective. Can anybody tell me how well does the 5 d mk IV/1-4 mk II plus 1.4 TC III perform as far as focus speed and accuracy? Does one have to stop down from f8 to maybe f9 for better DOF and sharpness?
    I've read both of Arash's reviews about these cameras and the post "Canon 7D II vs 5D mk IV" on this forum and right now, without a rational explanation, I tend to favor the 5 D, of course my apprehension of buying a used camera has a part to play in it. Any sugestions are happily welcomed.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It all depends on what you mean by 'action shots' - the 1Dx with its greater frame rate will increase the chance of getting the 'peak action'. For larger mammals, especially static then the 5DIV will do you well and will even track action very well especially larger animals but shots from Arash and Art Morris show what it can do in the right hands. really don't think that the two cameras will differ much in driving the 100-400ii with the 1.4x extender.

One website review took pains to point out that the 1Dx series give such great pictures because of the people using them - their timing and their abilities in the field enable them to get close enough to keep cropping to a minimum, so if your field skills need some improvement then the higher pixel count of the 5DIV may be a real benefit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hitchen View Post

One website review took pains to point out that the 1Dx series give such great pictures because of the people using them - their timing and their abilities in the field enable them to get close enough to keep cropping to a minimum, so if your field skills need some improvement then the higher pixel count of the 5DIV may be a real benefit.
    Hey Mike did the website also mention why those people prefer the 1DX at first place?
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think Dan asked this question before

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...camera-or-lens

Visit my blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

IMHO you cannot compare the two cameras, the 5D is not a 1DXMKII, if you have the budget then no question, go for the 1DXMKII. But it also depend on - how much you shoot, what & how you want to shoot, plus if you are out in all weathers the 1DX has the build quality, however it is heavier than the 5D.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are right, they are 2 different cameras, but I'd like to choose one of them, and dont know which one. I shoot in the weekends, maybe twice a month, but with a baby that might change(fortunately I have an understanding and supportive wife). As I said, I like mamals, roe deers, rabbits, whatever comes across my camera/or I can get close to. I dont plan to go out in all weather, at least not right now. To be honest, not even 10% of my action shots are keepers, so it's static shots first, then if the animal runs, I try to grab the action and more often fail. The only lens I could use is the 1-4 mk II, and I plan to buy a 1.4 TC III, for reach, there are no funds for a new lens. Now with the TC III, the 1 DX would have the only the central point and 4 adjacents FP active, whereas the 5D mk IV would have all FP active. I'm concerned that if I loose focus ( I tend to do that a lot when the action starts), on the 1 dx there is no next FP to track, opposed to the 5 D mk IV. Have you shot with the 1 dx mk I, not the II at f8?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can I be clear, do you mean 1DX MKI or MK2, as the MK2 is a 'Game changer'.

From what you say I might be tempted towards the 5D, both are FF so you will need to improve your Fieldcraft or use a hide/blind to get close and to avoid any hefty crop which will kill your image.

I have shot with the EOS MK2, 3, 4, 1DX MK1 and now with 2 1DX MK'2, if that helps. Having the expanded FP with a 2x on the 500 makes a huge difference.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the advice. I mean the 1 dx mk I, the mk II is way out of my league as far as price goes. Did you not find it a bit hard to track having just the central plus 4 adjacent FP when your subject switches from static to moving? With the subject centered, you'd have to crop, which could affect IQ.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's fine.

Can you PM your email, I will send you a Canon guide which may help understand things better, but remember you now have the option of Cases with the 1DX & 5D so you can 'Customise' far more. Also tracking a subject that is crossing L to R is easier than when it's running towards you. Once again, 'Customising' you settings here will help, plus your choice of DoF, Expanded focus points i.e. a cross, plus SS will all help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, here's the end of this story. After reading Arash's reviews, browsing this forum and consulting with a friend I bought a 1 Dx from Viena, with 13167 shutter count and, important for me, still in original warranty till the end of October 2017. Thank you everybody for your advices and wish me luck on this new journey.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good luck with your new camera Dan, don't forget to share your images with us in the avian and ETL forums.

cheers

Visit my blog