Thread: Drinking up

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Drinking up

Attached Images Attached Images

A thirsty lion quenches her thirst in the morning at Masai Mara. I wanted to take a head on view but our position was not the best so got this profile. So chipping in for the theme again. Went for a square crop to balance things out.
    7D II
    100-400 II
    312mm
    1/2000
    f/7.1
    ISO 1600

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the soft morning light and the detail in the fur plus the ripples she is causing in the water. Have you thought perhaps about straitening the picture a bit, it seems a tad off balanced.

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I like the pov and the drinking pose with the visible tongue. The bit of movement in the tongue also works. Colors look good. Did you have to recover the highlights substantially? I might consider a more pano comp since you don't have the full reflection and the ripples interrupt it anyway.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, I recovered the HL a little but not much, esp in the area of the jaw/mandible. I can try a pano but it was cutting across the hind limb.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, for what you said then you did make the most of it. Agree on loosing more water and I would try to get more depth too, it just looks a bit washed out. Sadly the head is in shadow which was not ideal and from the image it looks/appears as if it is lacking the detail/clarity compared to the rest of the body, where did you have the FP, on the head? Colour does look better here.

I wanted to take a head on view but our position was not the best so got this profile.
    Why could you not move, what prevented you from moving???

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, there were 2 other 4X4's in the best position. Sadly they belonged to my group. Imagine me & my group of 17 friends (18 total) made it there!! All guys bonding over game drives during days & single malts by night :-) The best guide was with the vehicle with guys armed with iphones ha ha!!!!! I missed one great opportunity of a lioness dragging a kill right in front of those iPhone guys while we were still getting there boo hoo :-(

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Of course they got some amazing video footage! So we have a great collection of those videos.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, there were 2 other 4X4's in the best position. Sadly they belonged to my group.
    Sanjeev, there is an 'unwritten' code in my book, you get the shots and move on to allow others in, if they leave then you can return should you wish. That way everyone has a chance.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Sanjeev I have taken the liberty of playing with the light, I really think if you went back to the RAW file and reprocessed you could get more again. I guess it would have been tricky to get an ideal crop but would a 5:4 have worked giving a little less water beneath the lioness?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon, your RP is a good improvement over my OP. I will look at the 5:4 crop option. Appreciate it.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

Thank you so much for yet another Theme image. I take it you had a hard time getting the shot but this happens when you share with seventeen other photographers, LOL.

Pose from the lioness is great but the heavy shadow over her face and highlights made it difficult to achieve the results we are usually seeing from you. Just not enough detail for me where it matters most, I am afraid.

For all it is worth I would try open up the eye a bit and crop a substantial amount from the bottom. Colours look good overall and Jon's RP adds richness and warmth to that lovely golden fur.

You must have much more from this trip and I am looking forward to see those frames, keep them coming please!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post