Thread: Grasshopper Sparrow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grasshopper Sparrow

Attached Images Attached Images

I always enjoy my time in the grasslands with these birds. When they are on their breeding grounds they are vocal and charismatic and not shy at all. On the other hand when we see them during migration they are skulking little buggers that you can barely get a look at. This was taken in early morning light at Negri-Nepote Grasslands in New Jersey this weekend. I have posted shots of them singing before so wanted to get some shots of them in early light with those beautiful grasses as the back drop.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4xiii. ISO 1250, F8, SS 1/2000. Tripod mounted

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Levels

Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking shot of this cute little sparrow we don't see out west. Nice pose, details and Bg.
    I do find this one a tiny bit bright and a little thin on the darks on my monitor.
    I only adjusted levels on the dark side. Hope you don't mind. Nice work Isaac
    Last edited by David Salem; 06-30-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, nice shot of this sparrow, I agree with what Dave said and his re-post.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice look at this diminutive sparrow. Good pose; I'm guessing you gave him the stick to perch on. Lovely grassland BG. I like Dave's repost, or somewhere in between.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. Sorry I forgot to mention that I gave him a stick to pose on. Dave, I never mind a re-post and always appreciate it. It is why I post on this site and not others. I am looking for info like that to learn from and to get better. Not sure what I think about it though. I feel like the adjustment added too much contrast. These birds blend in remarkably well and have very subtle colors other than a flash of yellow on their wing when they are displaying. Probably Bill is right and somewhere in between may be best but I guess that is just a matter of preference. I spent about an hour with this bird. Have shots in all different light and different spots on the perches. I chose this one because I liked the light feeling of the shot. But I could just as easily see the merits in Daves version. Thanks again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you're right Isaac, maybe somewhere in-between. You were there, and you know what it looked like, and I honestly have never seen this species before, so maybe I'm being a little heavy handed. Maybe our monitors are a little different also but I think we usually wind up pretty close to each others color and exposure liking. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com