Thread: Three bunnies

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Three bunnies

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Here are some bunnies I found on a very rainy and cloudy day. These guys hunkered down under a tree with mom nearby. I didn't want to get too close or stress them out at all and mom seemed okay with me being there -- I got some shots of one of the bunnies nursing as well. Per the weather and tree shade, camera techs were not ideal, with high ISO and low SS. Here the focus point landed on the leftmost (as viewed) bunny.

In post, warmed the image slightly, some slight tonal adjustments, tried to add some color back into the frame but wanted it true to the conditions, and +7 NR in LR. Then in photoshop I did more extensive NR on the BG and sharpened. This is full frame.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
    Specs: 1/160 ISO 6400 f/5.6

Thanks for looking!
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Becker; 06-28-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex - Cute bunnies. You did well in the dreary conditions and with a slow ss. Good not to stress them out too. There are a couple of specular highlights in the fg that I might tame a bit more if it were mine. With groupings of animals, it's often best to put the FP on the middle animal but your dof looks ok here. I do think the bunnies can use just a tad more punch.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for commenting Rachel -- much appreciated. Agree on the FP, I had a couple with the FP on the middle one but those weren't as sharp as it felt like one of these bunnies was always twitching and not much wiggle room at 1/160. I'm attaching a RP with some of the foreground highlights cloned out and a curves adjustment to the bunnies as well as a slight boost in saturation -- hopefully an improvement.

Thanks again!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very cute image Alex. Love the huddle & the eye contact. The RP is great. TFS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

some bunnies I found on a very rainy and cloudy day.
    Hi Alex, for me the description differs to the image, as the grass appears very vibrant, vivid and being quite dominant, I thought the grass may have appeared a bit duller/flat, in doing so both FG/BKG adds a layering effect to the image. Have you lighten the image and is this FF or cropped, you don't say? If you have added Black via Levels, Contrast or Clarity I might be tempted to ease off as it's adding a bit of a crunchy look & feel. The OP is better than the RP and for me, having the LH one sharper is better too, unless you could crank up gaining more DoF which you couldn't. I think due to the light conditions you are finding the limitations.

On the plus side I very much like the low POV and the fact they are huddled together. If the file was better then less on the RHS may have created a better frame.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alex this is gorgeous I particularly like the right bunny as viewed,that is such a grumpy face I adore that face andI've seen a couple or three expressions of late.

The center kid's ear looks strange,I don't know what is is but those two upturned heart shapes really grab my eye. Great pov and boy you did well under these conditions,although I agree with Steve the image doesn't paint rainy day to me.Do you think you might have added too much colour back? It's really difficult this mate: does one portray what one saw or what one might perceive as "best" for the image I sort of wish you had framed them slightly more off center Alex,but lay all that aside as this is a joy to view.

Alex what species please? Although we speak the same language you good folks use differing terms I feel to us brits with this group of animals Plus, have more species of wabbit and hare. It's quite fascinating for me all this,love the thought and care showed for the subject Alex. I feel at times it's good to emphasise how much, many true wildlife photographers think about their choosen subject and how our actions might affect them,especially when tiny things are involved.It isn't all about the shot......All credit,love the ethos !!

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, Steve, Stu -- thanks all for commenting and giving your thoughts, I really appreciate it. Pretty pressed for time today so might have to revisit the image tomorrow or this weekend.

Steve, this image is full frame, so I might be able to crop in a bit on the RHS. I didn't add any exposure to the frame, but did drop highlights -14 and brought up whites +3 in LR. I did add +8 vibrance and +8 saturation in LR so it might be better to keep those at 0 and do everything selectively on the bunnies in PS. I did add a bit of contrast and +3 clarity but I'll look at a version with those tapered off.

Stu, glad you like the scene! I think the thing on the middle guys ear is a leaf but -- I can try to evict it as it really doesn't look like theres much detail in the surrounding area but might be a challenge. I think you're right on adding too much color. Agree that it's always hard to decide how to portray a scene -- always end up second (and third...and fourth...) guessing it!

I'm pretty sure these guys are Eastern Cottontails. I'm always jealous of the hares you all have in Europe -- their ears just crack me up and you've captured some great expressions on them. Definitely isn't all about the shot. Glad I could get a couple frames but even if I hadn't still a pleasure to watch these little ones.

Thanks again all and I'll try to rework some of the suggestions. Best,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex -- what an adorable sight ! loved it . Agree with the above comments and RP is certainly improving this image . TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alex I think you did exceptionally well under the conditions, the repost is just a tad OTT for me somewhere between the two but nearer the original. Love those facial expressions!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alex, this must be the cutest bundle of bunnies I have ever seen:)

Lovely capture. Lighting conditions quite difficult but you have done well under the circumstances and I notice you pushed that ISO as far as you could.

Been wondering if it was necessary to do NR. I sometimes reduce contrast in PSCC ever so slightly and apply to certain areas where needed (BG, FG). In terms of sharpness, you could perhaps try another round on the face of the little fellow on the RHS.

Very sweet image and I think it is worth another RP, starting afresh and following what Steve said. Try avoid introducing too much contrast and go for a cleaner look, I feel the whites in the fur could be a tad brighter. Remember to take a bit off from the LHS:)

I enjoyed viewing, very much. Hope you have a fabulous weekend, try go look for those babies and see if you can get some more images, I would love to see them again

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh! I love this photo! I've never seen bunnies curled up together and this image is fantastic!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alex I really like this and very well done getting them all to sit in that cute pose,I am fine with your op but perhaps would tone down the greens/yellow just a tad.Very nice job.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi all,

Sincere apologies on being so slow and away from commenting on all the stunning images posted -- I've been pretty swamped with work and haven't had many chances to post process, although did get some time this weekend with some shorebirds.

Haseeb, Jon, Gabriela, Melissa, and Keith -- thanks so much for taking the time to comment and give suggestions. I went out looking for these guys again but no luck. Still very happy to have been able to watch them for a bit though.

I started again from the RAW file trying to take everyone suggestions in mind. I went for less contrast, less vibrance and saturation, and cropped in a bit. Also did some more sharpening one right one's face and tried to bring up the whites on the bunny.

I'm not sure if this RP is a step in the right direction, but regardless, I want to thank all of you for taking the time to view, comment, and help me try to improve my images and processing -- its very much appreciated.

Best, Alex