ISO Speed 6400
    Auto ISO Speed ON
    Lens EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
    Focal Length 700.0mm
    AF Mode AI Servo AF
    AF Configuration Tool Case 5
    AF area select mode AF Point expansion:top/bottom/left/right
    ACR & PSCC
    At last I think I am a bit happier, I did quite a bit to end up with this, all comments welcome.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-28-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, being in a hide you are far more constricted compare to Rachel being out in the field, so fore me you cannot compare and have to take into account the restrictions you faced, plus the time of day too. The twigs over the front legs ares not ideal and I think you can address this, so they are less obtrusive. However, I do like the front paw resting on the log. The rear part looks 'lifted' and sharper compared to the head which seems a bit odd, unless the FP was towards the rear??? I think here you could have easily gone to Case 1 and use single point accuracy rather that cross or expanded. Tracking across is different to moving towards you. Plus 'ing' EV may also add to your 'noise' I think.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve thanks for feedback, there was one focus point in focus and that was on the jaw just under the eye, I lifted the darkest elements in the fur and the contrary to the lightest. The fur on the head is much finer and softer than the rear. Regarding Case settings the cubs were twitchy that's why I was experimenting with Case 5, though I appreciate the point you are making relating to fore and aft v lateral movement.
    Regarding EV, I have to disagree - maybe I am wrong but surely the less exposed an image is then the more noise there will be, so a slight over exposure should minimise noise - leastwise this is the way it seems to me??

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - He looks like he's smiling . I too like the pose with the foot on the log and the rear paw slightly raised. I agree with you that some of the fur can be coarser especially if wet. The colors look better here to me. Interesting that the grass is that red. It seems that whenever bears are around there are tall twigs or blades of grass that are at times unavoidable no matter what the environment.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another fine shot Jon. Love the pose here and the raised paw Nice details and colors.