Thread: Coastal Brown Bear

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coastal Brown Bear

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would post a theme image of an adult brown bear. Taken around 7:30 a.m. in Lake Clark N.P., Alaska.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/1500
    f5.6
    ISO 800
    HH while standing, ff, levels, curves, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

2. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, the head look a bit 'pushed' in the PP, with that lens (seeing some of JA RAW's) I would expect more from the capture. For me the HA looking away is not ideal, but I do like the raised front paw. The line HL in the BKG needs addressing, likewise the bright area in the water. I would also address the colour tint coming through in the bears fur, evident from the middle to the rear and there is a very small amount of clipping on the bears shadow area on the rear leg.

The Bear overall looks in prime condition.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Rachel I like the scenery and the bear, ideally his head would be a little more toward you..... but I am not so sure from a safety point of view!! These guys are altogether heavier than the European bears, the head appears more massive also.
    The rim of brightest fur can be persuaded to give more detail by a using luminosity mask, and or lowering the luminance just slightly in the yellow at RAW stage(I have been using them quite a lot recently).
    I see a tinge in the darkest fur also purple/magenta\red. I want to see some more bears!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I want to see some more bears!
    Jon, I can arrange that and run a workshop for 8 folk with the best Bear guide you could wish for and where you are within feet of these guys and I mean feet. It just depends on your budget - it won't be cheap, but a memorable one for sure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Jon. I posted this one with the less than ideal HA because it fit this month's theme and I think it still works with the inclusion of habitat, the open mouth and the light hitting the eye. Yes, I saw the color tint in the shadow on the body but could not decide whether to leave it or remove it so thought I would post it and see what people say. The bears' colors often varied with the light and whether the fur was wet.

Jon - thanks for the tip on handling the brighter guard hairs. I'll give it a try.

I can also highly recommend Silver Salmon Creek Lodge as a location to get close to and photograph brown bears.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, a nice image for the theme. I like the open mouth & raised paw and the details. Rest covered by Steve & Jon.

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So much already covered Rachel,for me it's glorious seeing the American and European bears shown by Jon and your good self ,I'm terribly stretched for time so apologise for brevity, but thanks to both for sharing.

HA a bit too far looking away for me,but that's countered by the lovely light, the open mouth, the raised paw conveying movement,and the wonderful bkg/habitat. He looks like he's going somewhere with purpose Rachel.

The light really lifts this one for me mate, I love how is drapes across the grounded front leg

Cheers for sharing,i'm going to have to spend some time looking at these bears soon to quote Jon in a different way.......
    I'd also like to see some more bears

take care

stu

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really don't mind the head angle as it turns the image more into a 'wider environment' shot where something out of shot has caught its attention. For me it adds to the feeling of the bear meandering though the land.
    The lighting extremes have obviously not made it easy but I think you have done well. It would be interesting to see how luminosity masks would work out as suggested by Jon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev, Stu and Mike. I very much appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel,

What wonderful opportunities you had on this trip!

Impressive character, the size of the bear truly demands respect - I love the way he ambles down that path, makes me think of a lethargic old fellow after a heavy breakfast:)

Nice perspective and the inclusion of environment (with the stream in the BG) certainly adds to the frame. There is a bright log or branch at the top of the frame (RHS) that I find quite distracting. You do not clone I know, but might consider other options to make it less visible.

Great techs and the subject is sharp as can be, good detail in the coat. Despite a slight turn of the head that eye gleams so nicely

Lovely Theme image Rachel - I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela. I forgot to mention that I already toned that branch down a little but I can do it a bit more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- A nice theme image , and i agree with what Steve has to say. But i appreciate How you handled the light and got that image and also the low Pov is taking up this a notch . TFS !

@Steve I am also interested for any workshop if it is about Bears , high on my wish list !

17. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post