Thread: Peregrine Falcon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peregrine Falcon

Hello again... Too busy at work and at home with the kids, and don't get to shoot as often as I would really like. Finally decided to join as a Member and maybe that would force me to shoot more, hoping to learn from all you masters around here...

Anyway, this is a frame from this past weekend. Would appreciate any C&C... Thx...

Nikon D4, 600mm f/4G, f/5.6, 1/3200 sec, ISO 1600

Name:  170624_117_PointFermin-Edit.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  282.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat calling in flight pose. Good details. The comp would be improved by having the subject further back in the frame, and I do feel the image is a bit too blue - adding a touch of reds to the overall colour balance may do the trick.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto Dan on moving the bird back in the frame. Easy to do. Let me know if you need some help there. I love the open bill and the dorsal view. The whole thing could go a bit darker; see Glen's Peregrine just above this one. Big time thanks for your membership support. Now get out there and make some images :) with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Artie and Daniel for your feedback... Here is my second attempt in processing, taking your feedback into account. Is this any better?

Name:  170624_117_PointFermin-Edit-2-4.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  279.7 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Kambiz, The tonality is better but only by 1000%. I love it as is but would still love to see it with a bit of a looser crop and more room in front (as a true 3X2). with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As Artie mentions, this is tons better, and I also agree with even more room in front of the falcon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again for your comments... In regards to more room in front, my second picture was just a different crop. I did not have any more room left in the original frame. So to further extend it, I would just have to do it in Photoshop. Not a big deal, but I just didn't get to do it last night.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

the original was soft (too much NR) bit the repost is too noisy. do you have the RAW?

love the topside view and the colors and the open beak, well done Kambiz
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Kambiz, glad to see you have my old lens out in the field. Great suggestion from Daniel really helped the shot. Get Arash the Raw he is a master processor

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot Arash... Some of the noise may also be due to amplification due to the crop. This is only about 25% crop of the original frame. And yes, I do have the RAW. How best can I send it to you? Google Drive? Thx!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, Thank you Glenn... I have seen many of Arash's pictures and I know he is absolutely a master indeed... I would love to see what he can achieve with my crappy RAW file in this case :)

And in regards to your lens, yes, very much enjoying it. Thx! I have been planning to focus tune it with my D4 using my FoCal Pro software but, believe it or not, still haven't had a chance. And man, I so wish for that new 600mm. Now that I have been using 600 f/4G for some time, I believe that 1.25Kg difference in weight could make a huge difference in handling!
    Last edited by Kambiz Shoarinejad; 06-28-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kambiz, you can use dropbox to share your RAW files

best

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Kambiz, you can use dropbox to share your RAW files

best
    Sure, will do that later tonight when I am back home... Thanks...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I processed Kambiz's RAW file with PS and Neat Image, the issue with this image is that the falcon was way off the center and as a result focus was soft. you need to keep the bird centered in the frame. Nevertheless I was able to get much better results than either of the posted images. you could bump up the contrast a bit too...

Attachment 169992
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 06-30-2017 at 02:31 AM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Arash. Excellent, and obviously further testament to your processing skills. Really appreciate your time on this.

In regards to NR, is Neat Image really much better than, say, NIK Dfine that I mostly use?

Thanks again...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, and in regards to keeping the bird in the center of the frame, I understand but as you know, it is not so easy with these Peregrine in flight...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I processed Kambiz's RAW file with PS and Neat Image, the issue with this image is that the falcon was way off the center and as a result focus was soft. you need to keep the bird centered in the frame. Nevertheless I was able to get much better results than either of the posted images. you could bump up the contrast a bit too...

Attachment 169992
    Killer job Arash. Much more natural looking and sharper as well. with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kambiz Shoarinejad View Post
    Oh, and in regards to keeping the bird in the center of the frame, I understand but as you know, it is not so easy with these Peregrine in flight...
    Hey Kambiz, I am in the same boat even with slow flying birds :(

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Arash. Excellent, and obviously further testament to your processing skills. Really appreciate your time on this.

In regards to NR, is Neat Image really much better than, say, NIK Dfine that I mostly use?

Thanks again...
    NIK define is not suitable for NR, it doesn't have the necessary controls. NIK was purchased by google and they pulled the plug on it recently.

Neat Image is the only NR software I use and recommend.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

NIK define is not suitable for NR, it doesn't have the necessary controls. NIK was purchased by google and they pulled the plug on it recently.

Neat Image is the only NR software I use and recommend.
    Thanks Arash... Will try Neat Image.

Google had already stopped updating NIK plugins for a long time. The recent announcement was just making it official, which is sad because NIK collection was one of the better set of plugins out there, IMHO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

yes I know, if it were easy everyone would be doing it :)

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Kambiz Shoarinejad;1159075]Thanks Arash... Will try Neat Image./QUOTE]

Kambiz, There is some interesting info on NeatImage and the Professional Post Processing Guide here.

With love, artie

23. Thanks Kambiz Shoarinejad thanked for this post