Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/400
    Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation +1/3
    ISO Speed 4000
    Auto ISO Speed ON
    Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III
    Focal Length 560.0mm
    AF Configuration Tool Case 5 ( I hadn't used case setting very much previously but I gave it a try as the little devil kept scampering about)
    AF area select mode AF Point expansion:top/bottom/left/right
    ACR & PSCC ( did versions in DPP and ACR decided to go with the latter)

It's as if she said "wait a minute I'm going to sneeze!"
    All C&C welcome.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - My first thought upon viewing the image before reading your intro was also looks like it's about to sneeze . The tufts, curled tail, visible feet all make for a good image. Colors and detail look good too. It's a fun image that brings a smile!

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the perch and background, the squirrel looks like a statue, pretty neat.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- A fun image indeed , with lovely colours in the subject and a nice looking perch. Framing works well , with the subject standing out against that clean BKG . The face looks to me a bit soft / motion blur compared to its tail and lower body .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a fun image for sure!!!

With hindsight, you needed more SS, you have the detail in the tail/body but to me the head looks a tad soft, probably through the 'sneeze'. Is this at Forby, or at 'Ashton Towers', moving to your right (if possible) would have been better to avoid the white at the rear of the tail. Your call, but I'm tempted to bring a bit more 'colour' back into the body which will add some more 'form' and if you are happy with the tinge of colour coming through in the ear tuffs and the top of the tail. You may also wish to explore the background and exposure to help the subject???? I think you could afford to loose some off the top.

I've sent you a thought rather than adding a RP, just my take.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve this is another image from Finland, taken from a hide, it was always very difficult to get the ideal composition no matter where they were there was always something less than ideal be it twigs branches or OOF snow etc. The fact that the aperture for the camera was too low made life difficult too. Anyhow enough excuses I got what I got. Again I made several versions but settled for this.
    I really like your version it looks great thanks for taking the time and trouble I do appreciate it. I have to say the colours beautiful as they are, were not so punchy in real life. Same old story make the best picture you can .... or try to recreate the scene.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-27-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, thanks for the explanation and fully appreciate the limited access and from what you describe, I think you managed to work it in your favour, unless we have been there no one would know the restrictions you faced.

Same old story make the best picture you can .... or try to recreate the scene.
    That's all we can do.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Lovely Theme image and the subject has so much character! I so like the pose, not sure this little one was sneezing or just avoiding all the attention, LOL.

I like the composition and the BG is great, nice DoF too. Just unsure about the colours, I notice what looks to me like magenta and blue cast on the tail and tufts, not sure they should be there? The face of the squirrel appears a bit soft in comparison with the rest, could be a combination of movement and low SS. A fun image Jon and I really enjoyed viewing, do you happen to have more from this sighting and will you share with us?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Jon,

Lovely Theme image and the subject has so much character! I so like the pose, not sure this little one was sneezing or just avoiding all the attention, LOL.

I like the composition and the BG is great, nice DoF too. Just unsure about the colours, I notice what looks to me like magenta and blue cast on the tail and tufts, not sure they should be there? The face of the squirrel appears a bit soft in comparison with the rest, could be a combination of movement and low SS. A fun image Jon and I really enjoyed viewing, do you happen to have more from this sighting and will you share with us?

Warmest regards,
    Hi Gabriela, if there are colour casts it is probably because I gave one or two swipes to many with the sponge, I thought I had removed casts at raw and initial PS. Yes there are more images some the same site (precisely) and others close by - hopefully pretty sharp too!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-29-2017 at 03:10 AM.