Thread: Hitching a ride on a Frog's eyeball

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hitching a ride on a Frog's eyeball

Name:  Frog and Fly BN-0365.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  255.1 KB

Canon 1DX mk II, Canon 400 DO IS II with 1.4 t.c.
    560mm, ISO 640, 1/500 sec., f/5.6

This definitely needs to be enlarged to see the fly. If nothing else, I thought it was a whimsical photo - especially when I couldn't find many birds to capture.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa, agree it is a fun image.

Overall I feel it needs more 'tonal depth', it's bit thin and bright and perhaps some more DoF,. You should be looking also at a higher SS and just increase the ISO, it's a 1DXMKII, you don't need to keep it so low. Is this a crop or FF as I would expect to have seen more detail. In your processing you should also be looking for Dust Bunnies, see one top LHC and then address them, an integral issue with Digital.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  Frog 2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  296.6 KB

Thanks Steve. Here is the original RAW pic. It was too bright and overexposed so I dialed down the exposure and cropped. I agree that it's still too bright. This lake was the last stop in an otherwise disappointing early morning, so the sun was already high enough to make the turtle's head too bright. I used a lower ISO because I was too afraid of noise after my last issue on the Avian forum with noise. So, you're absolutely right! And I hate dust bunnies.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa - Nice to see a different species. I agree with your self-critique of the RAW file being overexposed. I also agree with Steve's critique about the tonal range of the processed image being thin and the settings in the field. The crop is a fairly large one too. It helps with the critique process to let us know what you have done in pp. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the reflection of the eye in the water. Thats pretty clean water as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa -- Nice to see a different specie and a fun image indeed . Agree with the comments above , keep sharing your work , seems you have some interesting images .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I used a lower ISO because I was too afraid of noise after my last issue on the Avian forum with noise
    Melissa you are using a Canon 1DX MKII 'The Game Changer' of camera bodies and where noise is almost a thing of the past. If you are having issues with noise you are not exposing the frame correctly and or 'lifting' (lightening) the image hugely through under exposure. If you expose well you will be fine, and with the 1DX MKII allowing you to obtain the DoF & SS you require to get the capture.

Check this thread out:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...-at-51-200-Iso

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Melissa,

A fun image and it brought a smile to my face, thank you for sharing! Cute little fellow and the presence of the fly adds interest. I like the reflection, this is well composed and nicely processed too, I do agree with Steve and Rachel it would be great if you improve on tonality a bit:)
    Well done Melissa - I too look forward to more from you, and I truly appreciate your kind thoughts on our images
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Melissa what is the Colour working space set to in the camera?