Thread: Brown bear Ursus artocs

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown bear Ursus arctos arctos

Attached Images Attached Images

Monopod Uniqball head, Canon1DX, Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC III, Auto ISO 6400 +0.3, 1/800 sec, f5.6 Minimal NR
    ACR & PSCC (Reds and Magentas reduced in PSCC Colour balance off the darker gey bark - centre of tree trunk above her ear).
    Maybe colours look a bit warm - but I decided not too far out - evening light an' all.
    Here is mummy bear. I think this time I have got the detail I wanted in the fur - hope you like it!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-28-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I like the eye contact & the details and colours look good to me. Nice habitat on display.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, so far this is my favourite, I like everything about it. Perhaps as an alternative option you could come in on the RHS and loose the hint of branches coming into view. I don't think they add much?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, so far this is my favourite, I like everything about it. Perhaps as an alternative option you could come in on the RHS and loose the hint of branches coming into view. I don't think they add much?

TFS
    Steve
    Steve already had similar thoughts but the image is already a slight crop from the right so I didn't want to introduce further noise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar View Post
    Hi Jon, I like the eye contact & the details and colours look good to me. Nice habitat on display.
    Thanks Sanjeev, I must admit I had some trepidation over some of the twigs they have a slight red appearance but as it was late at night I thought I might get away with it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a beautiful shot of this light brown bear! I think the composition is spot on, but what makes the photo is the eye contact.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve already had similar thoughts but the image is already a slight crop from the right so I didn't want to introduce further noise.
    Jon, how do you increase the noise via cropping, I thought it was through lifting the image???? If it's well exposed a sliver more should be OK???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, how do you increase the noise via cropping, I thought it was through lifting the image???? If it's well exposed a sliver more should be OK???
    Steve, the grain in the noise is a fixed relational size so if you crop the grain becomes bigger in the presented image. True this becomes more evident or apparent with lifting but is also more evident as the image is magnified. I expressed the phenomenon a little inaccurately.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon yet another nice frame of the bear looking to the camera .
    Love the arboreal setting of Finland forests ...
    Overall i think the image does look again lifted over the range ....without being there i think it might have been more dull and dark environment , i might be well wrong .
    The colors do look washed out with no depth and the reds/oranges and yellows are looking too dominant from my POV , but you have been there.
    I think the WB is somehow a bit off .....
    I am surprised that you have in all postings different colors .....more or less ? But all seems to be taken in the same location .
    Well just my view ...wonder what you think about this .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon yet another nice frame of the bear looking to the camera .
    Love the arboreal setting of Finland forests ...
    Overall i think the image does look again lifted over the range ....without being there i think it might have been more dull and dark environment , i might be well wrong .
    The colors do look washed out with no depth and the reds/oranges and yellows are looking too dominant from my POV , but you have been there.
    I think the WB is somehow a bit off .....
    I am surprised that you have in all postings different colors .....more or less ? But all seems to be taken in the same location .
    Well just my view ...wonder what you think about this .

TFS Andreas
    Andreas you are right the colours are all over the place, the light did vary but what is right or wrong I just don't know I have some more to post, I appreciate your feedback,I am not entirely happy with what I posted but as the saying goes I think I am getting there (if I ever get there GOK!!)
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-27-2017 at 02:17 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Jon,

Your bear images just get better and better - love the composition, pose from the subject and eye contact, colours too, especially reds in the vegetation.

One small thing...just thinking those lovely eyes could do with more sparkle?

Really enjoying your posts here, thank you so much

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Interesting to see such a different bg from what I just photographed them in on the coast of Alaska. The detail in the fur looks good. I agree with Andreas on the reds/oranges and yellows being a bit strong but you were there. I wish the tree wasn't coming out of the head but not a deal breaker. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for you comments and feedback everyone. The area in which the bears were photographed was woodland marsh and swamp, as the night went on there were very brief intervals of clear light followed by cloud sometimes heavy and intermittent snow. The colours were muted and for the most part though not all the bears were quite distant, I have made numerous versions of many images changing from DPP Standard, Neutral, Fine Detail to ACR and trying various colour temperatures, hopefully one will be good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- pretty late on this one , so i dont want to mention the things already mentioned above at the risk of repeating my self , but a fine image and the best from the series so far ! Keep them coming !

TFS !

15. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post