Thread: Pink On Blue...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pink On Blue...

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at the end of March at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. The winter had been very dry, Florida was in drought conditions and the ponds and water pools at Circle B were drying up. The shallow ponds were attracting wading birds to feed on the trapped fish and crustaceans. I captured this image of a Roseate Spoonbill flying in to join the other birds in the pond. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 280mm
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 280 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017, removed out of focus trees and branches in the bottom of the frame that added nothing and distracted from the bird in the bottom of the frame
    Cropped slightly to position the bird and canvas added to the rights side for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 06-24-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is beautiful!! Someday I need to travel to Florida to see and take photos of these and other remarkable birds.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

Great downstroke pose, angle in frame, breeding colors. Comp works for me.

I do tend to try really hard to get some background in the image if possible, it adds so much to the sense of depth. Clouds, trees, hills, something. I absolutely appreciate that there are times when it just isn't possible, however.

Might be interesting to see the original frame.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Joe:

Great downstroke pose, angle in frame, breeding colors. Comp works for me.

I do tend to try really hard to get some background in the image if possible, it adds so much to the sense of depth. Clouds, trees, hills, something. I absolutely appreciate that there are times when it just isn't possible, however.

Might be interesting to see the original frame.
    Hi Randy, thank you for viewing and commenting. After reading your comments maybe the out of focus trees do add to the image. Here is a repost with the trees that I just worked up. Let me know your thoughts, I would be interested if others chimed in. Thanks again.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe,

As much as I like pane #1, after seeing the original frame I agree with Randy that the out of focus trees add a great deal of depth. Beautiful warm light and down stroke of the wings.

Geoffrey

http://http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Randy, thank you for viewing and commenting. After reading your comments maybe the out of focus trees do add to the image. Here is a repost with the trees that I just worked up. Let me know your thoughts, I would be interested if others chimed in. Thanks again.
    It is a beautiful bird with wonderful lighting. Well exposed and focused. Like the down stroke wing pose. I prefer this one with the bg.
    Last edited by John Whaley; 06-25-2017 at 06:28 AM.

10. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another vote for the one with the tree BG. Like the pose and the catchlight. They really are such pretty birds. TFS

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, the trees in the BG do add a lot. I'd prefer without the vertical part below the bird though. Great downstroke pose, and looks like you had good light.

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

Trees for sure. Agree with Daniel, you might do a bit of judicious trimming on the area just beneath the bird to give a bit more clearance, but I would take this as is everyday over a blue sky shot!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

16. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post