Thread: Piping Plover

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Piping Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Here's another piping plover from Sandy Hook, NJ. Pretty minor edits in post, mostly pulling up the shadows, warmed the image, taken pretty soon after sunrise and cloned out a couple bits of OOF shells. I know LA (or HA) isn't ideal but I was happy to get the shell relatively in the same plane and hoping the HA can be excused as I think the image still tells a story of the plover looking for a meal. Cropped about 30%

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
    Specs: 1/2000 ISO 640 f/7.1

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alex:

Well exposed, liked the raised foot, sense of motion. I agree that the strong attention of the bird to the shell helps overcome the head angle, as far as telling the story.

Good shooting angle.

I would be tempted to crop 30% or so off the free space on the top, as the story is all in the bottom portion of the image.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for commenting Randy -- very helpful. I don't have any more room below unfortunately. Here is a 16:10 crop -- does this help? I also have a 16:9 crop version as well which does take more off the top but feels too long to me. Thanks again

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love Piping Plovers and always like images of them. I am OK with the head angle here because as you said it tells the story. But I think that you would have been better off having what it is looking at also in sharp focus. I think it would tell the story better. Also I think the plumage on these birds really comes to life when you get them at the perfect light angle. Meaning the sun directly at your back. I would also clone out the large white pebble directly behind the birds leg.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Isaac -- always appreciated. Agree on cloning out the pebble -- missed it on the edits. I went back today and really focused on trying to nail the perfect sun angle, for this location that means getting a little wet which was fine. The plovers weren't very cooperative this morning but in the couple shots where they were I really see what you mean. They weren't the cleanest backgrounds as someone walked and took their dog through the roped off area (!) so I have some PS clean up to attempt but I will try to post one at some point. Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suppose that the subject looking at the shell lessens the impact of the head turned away, but I still would have preferred it at least parallel to the sensor. I love all those clean pebbles on the beach, and I am OK with the larger one behind the leg. Good exposure and details.

7. Thanks Alex Becker thanked for this post