Thread: Brown bear Ursus artocs

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown bear Ursus arctos arctos

Attached Images Attached Images

Monopod & Uniqball head Canon 1Dx Canon 500mm f4 L IS II & 1.4TC III Auto ISO 6400+0.3, 1/800 sec f5.6

ACR & PSCC

Another shot of the same cub with mummy bear watching in the background.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-28-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- Nicely framed as the subject are symmetrically positioned in the frame. I feel this is better processed as compared to the previous images from this series. The Cub looks intent on something ? Nicely standing on that log . The inclusion of environment gives some feel of the conditions and their habitat. I liked this one better .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, nice capture of the cub on the log looking alert and I like the inclusion of Mum too, albeit a tad high in frame, but the Silver birch is a killer object for me, sorry. Nothing you could do, but if this is in front of the hide I might have taken a saw with me on the next visit . You could, if careful, drop the tonal range down a bit, but....

Now I have seen the RAW so I know you could have upped the Exposure by another 2/3rds and get more to the RHS with clipping, however you would then need to have upped the ISO to retain SS. I also think you need to review the Case setting here. I don't think you are too far off on the processing (albeit subjective), all I might do is get some more tonal depth in the FG grass and perhaps drop the Exposure a tad at the top to bring more to the cub.

As discussed here is my take.

Cheers Jon

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve, I replied to your email before looking at this post so having read your comments here I think I am on the right track. Thanks for taking time in processing. The Case setting was an over site, it was on that particular one because I had not reset it from when I had been photographing hares. I use a re set Case 3 for 95% of the time (-2,2,2 for BIF), as I use central spot and surround for most of the time I wouldn't have thought the setting mattered a great deal as the points won't have far to wander. I used a soft light layer on the foregound but note you have better detail than I did. Hopefully my next post will be a little better again.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are welcome Jon.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Cute pose with the cub leaning on the log. Do you know how old the cub is roughly? It looks bigger than the 2nd and 3rd year cubs I just photographed. I like the watchful mom in the bg but would also prefer her just a bit lower in the frame. I really like what Steve has done with the frame.

TFS,
    Rachel