Thread: Male Lion

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear all,
    I just returned from a fantastic trip to Masai Mara (my 3rd visit to this great park). Had some amazing game viewing & came back with lots of images.
    Starting off with this male lion who was walking towards us in some lovely evening light.
    5D III
    500mm II + 1.4 X TC III
    1/1000
    f/5.6
    ISO 800
    Cheers,
    Sanjeev

2. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good posture of the subject, really like the details in his face and fur and the Bg, plus the soft light. What was the reason behind landscape format rather than portrait? Was he so close that he didnt fit in the frame?

4. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comment. This is near full frame, minor crop. Gave him some space to look into. Also Since I have the mane in, I didn't bother about the feet. I have more frames of the whole subject.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot but I too find composition a little less than conventional - nothing wrong with that it's just me being conventional! Looks great but wonder if contrast is just a tad high??

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev again beautiful shot and again I sort of want portrait,certainly as the frame stands I want a tiny bit more below because the mane isn't clear of the base of frame and I really think it needs that separation also a bit more of the legs being visible might anchor him better.I know nits,little things,it is a lovely frame the colours in the mane and sheer majesty of him are awesome

TFS stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, welcome back and good to hear you had a good time.

Certainly looks like he has been around the block, not someone you would wish to cross.

As presented I find the framing a bit awkward, for me it's the 'character' of that face, so I might have been tempted to go in tighter and plump for a head shot. I think your next posting although only saw the thumbnail is better. Agree that the Contrast/Blacks/Clarity look a bit heavy, likewise the overall strength of Saturation, however you were there and I have no idea on the setting. Getting a bit of sedation in terms of colour between subject and BKG does help.

Just my take, but a tighter crop, easing on the Blacks etc and just tweaking some colour.

TFS
    Steve

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- Great to see you back and posting and I think we are for some treat as per your intro. A lovely looking Male , which i too happened to sight and photograph , just recognised it from that distinct black spot below its nose . I think I will go with Steve's crop here and Blacks also look slightly strong , but all in all a lovely image .

TFS !

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back Sanjeev, and thank you for sharing this image of a stunning male lion - he is a real beauty.

I cannot agree more, this cries for a vertical and rather tight crop so IMO Steve's RP is spot on. Love the rich colours and golden mane, indeed lots of character and the look in his eyes tells the story. I think we're in for a treat and surely there's more in your folders, keep them coming please:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I'm late to this because I was away but agree with what was said above about comp, contrast and saturation. Steve's rp was the way to go, preferably in the field.

TFS,
    Rachel

16. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post