Thread: Dickcissel at Sunrise

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dickcissel at Sunrise

Name:  Singing Dickcissel at Sunrise [BPN].jpg
Views: 69
Size:  335.6 KB
    I see these Dickcissels every morning at a place I frequent for photos. Rarely do they do get into the right light, so I decided to look at it a different way.

Nikon D500
    Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
    1/5000
    f/8
    ISO-400
    Center Weighted Average

Cleveland, Ohio
    June 2017
    30 minutes after sunrise, mild and partly cloudy.

2. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this one. Love the colors and the silhouette with just the hint of back lighting. Really like the way the light is hitting the foliage on the left. It would be great if there was just a hint of an eye visible. Also I would probably clone out the one out of focus branch that is touching the perch the bird is on. But this is a real winner for me as presented and that was me being super picky.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I love this one. Love the colors and the silhouette with just the hint of back lighting. Really like the way the light is hitting the foliage on the left. It would be great if there was just a hint of an eye visible. Also I would probably clone out the one out of focus branch that is touching the perch the bird is on. But this is a real winner for me as presented and that was me being super picky.
    Thanks Isaac! That oof branch you're talking about is bothering me too. I'm glad I didn't give up on this one because the lighting wasn't where I needed it. I really feel like this one was a step forward in creativity for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

Good points by Issac. I like the lighting a lot. From a comp standpoint, wish it wasn't absolutely dead center in the frame. Cropping the leaves branching to move it sometimes can be a challenge, but might be worth an alternative crop.

Congrats on thinking outside of your box!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Daniel:

Good points by Issac. I like the lighting a lot. From a comp standpoint, wish it wasn't absolutely dead center in the frame. Cropping the leaves branching to move it sometimes can be a challenge, but might be worth an alternative crop.

Congrats on thinking outside of your box!

Cheers

Randy
    Thanks Randy! Unfortunately my only crop options were center or pushing the bird left (in the direction he's facing). The un-cropped original has a huge dark spot on the left you can see bleeding in on the cropped version I posted. I spent a considerable amount of time re-framing this in the field around vegetation, the sunlight I wanted and getting a singing pose where he wasn't looking away. All that said - I wonder what I could do with a vertical 8x10 with this. I'll definitely take another look at it in LR. I'll reply to your feedback with an alternative crop - thanks again!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grossi View Post
    Thanks Randy! Unfortunately my only crop options were center or pushing the bird left (in the direction he's facing). The un-cropped original has a huge dark spot on the left you can see bleeding in on the cropped version I posted. I spent a considerable amount of time re-framing this in the field around vegetation, the sunlight I wanted and getting a singing pose where he wasn't looking away. All that said - I wonder what I could do with a vertical 8x10 with this. I'll definitely take another look at it in LR. I'll reply to your feedback with an alternative crop - thanks again!
    I wish I would have considered this on my original post Randy. Here's a vertical 8x10...

Name:  Singing Dickcissel at Sunrise II [BPN].jpg
Views: 38
Size:  308.7 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your creative thinking produced an exceptional image. I agree with the comments above, and would take out the oof branch if mine. Wish it were. I like both crops, but think I prefer the vertical. Very nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Your creative thinking produced an exceptional image. I agree with the comments above, and would take out the oof branch if mine. Wish it were. I like both crops, but think I prefer the vertical. Very nicely done!
    Thanks Bill! I'm going to remove the oof branch and go with the vertical 8x10 for the print.