Thread: Darting to deliver

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Darting to deliver

Attached Images Attached Images

Summer is the breeding and nesting time for many birds native to Singapore. Blue tailed bee-eater is one of those birds. Two or three pairs of these birds nest in the ground of a school every year. But each year, the exact spot varies with which the background changes. Light is different each day and each hour of the day. And they also present good opportunities for flight shots. So I never tire of shooting these beautiful birds. Enjoy and comments are welcome.

Image was cropped for composition and processed in PSCC2017.
    Nikon D500, 600 mm F/4.0
    1/5000, f/6.3, IS0 2000

2. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My goodness me! I think this is amazing beautifully focused and gorgeous colours, the action is terrific. You even have a tiny gap between the tail and perch - knock out well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a very beautiful bird and light was good. Thanks for your kind words.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

action is superb, love the BG and the prey. unfortunately it is held back by poor IQ. the head and the dragonfly look crunchy with strong edge halos (a result of over sharpening) and other areas don't show much detail. my guess is the RAW file wasn't quite sharp or maybe something went wrong in processing?

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Arash on this one. Great action but the bird is not sharp. In addition to what Arash said, the front part of the perch does not look right to me. Also the area directly below the crook in the branch seems like something was not selected properly and is dark while the rest is light. Has the look like you increased the exposure in the background but didn't do a proper selection maybe? I think the background could use more noise reduction as well. Also looks like the bird is over saturated to me. Careful processing is really important if you want to take your photos to the next level.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In the RAW file head and eyes are sharp. I think I lost some details in demonising and tried to over compensate by sharpening. Loved the action, so was less conscientious in PP. Your points noted with thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

the impression you are getting is simply because of the shadow. I did not do anything to the perch. But I know what you mean as it does look off at the first glance. Saturation in the final image is not far from RAW file. I have adjusted the luminosity, not saturation. Thanks for your C&C.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree the the bird looks a bit 'crunchy' - from the haloes around the wing it looks like you sharpened first then started to play with the luminosity.
    I will often sharpen quickly to see what detail is possible then cancel the sharpening and leave it to last, after everything else has been done (including light balancing and cropping).