Thread: Young Killdeer

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young Killdeer

Name:  Baby Killdeer at KCLE III [BPN].jpg
Views: 76
Size:  382.8 KB
    Seems like forever since I've posted in here. A pair of Killdeer decided to nest in the parking lot where I work and this is 1 of 4 end results. They left the nest today and I was lucky enough to catch this one before they disappeared. This little guy was in the parking lot frantically trying (and failing) to climb over the curb to get into the grass to join his parents and siblings. I was able to approach the bird, get a finger underneath him and help him climb over the curb. After getting into the grass he stuck around just long enough for me to get a few shots off and then ran to his family. It was a great moment and I was so happy to help him along.

Nikon D500
    Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
    1/1600
    f/5.6
    ISO-400
    Center Weighted Average

Cleveland, Ohio USA
    June 2017
    A few hours after sunset, warm and sunny.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cute frame and nice HA. We have some chicks near my office as well but I haven't gotten a photo yet . The eye is very interesting -- did you do anything to it or is it really that blue / clear? Whites look just a bit grey to me but see what others think on that front. Slightly distracting about the OOF grass passing through the head but not much to do about that. Overall very nice -- TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Very cute frame and nice HA. We have some chicks near my office as well but I haven't gotten a photo yet . The eye is very interesting -- did you do anything to it or is it really that blue / clear? Whites look just a bit grey to me but see what others think on that front. Slightly distracting about the OOF grass passing through the head but not much to do about that. Overall very nice -- TFS
    Thanks for the feedback Alex! I agree on those whites - good catch. As far as the eye goes, I think it's because his eye isn't completely developed yet. I'm guessing that blue/clear you see is the sky reflected in his undeveloped pupil. I didn't do anything to the eye. No iris enhance, burning or anything. The sun was at my back about 45 degrees up in the sky.

4. Thanks Alex Becker thanked for this post