Thread: A big old 'unit'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A big old 'unit'

Attached Images Attached Images

Not going to set the world alight with this one, but it was nice to come across this bull on the run back to camp. He was quite happy to just graze and watch the world go by and occasional pose for some frames.

Steve

Subject: Bull elephant grazing
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/5.6 ISO1000
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

2. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like his posture, thr texture and colour of his skin. He seems so relaxed and in his world. The grass and the trees in the Bg give a nice scale of his dimensions. Given his tusks, I hope he will live to be older.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

He seems quite chilled. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- A nice simple image with nice details in the subject. Nice lighting and lovely colours in the frame , the grass is providing some nice feel to the image .

TFS !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

While viewing this frame tonight the thought occurred to me that so seldom people notice details like you do. Also been thinking about the blindness and haste of some photographers nowadays. I met a few today at my shop and they seemed obsessed with covering as many locations as possible in two weeks. Some were returning home with a great number of images but I noticed they were taken at a great pace and no thought went behind them whatsoever. Does anyone stare at a place or an animal for long enough to grasp what lies before their eyes? You might agree, technology has somewhat made it easier for us to reach beauty. But it certainly has not simplified the process of appreciating it. A photographer should make a conscious effort to notice elements in a given scene and understand their construction. To capture beauty is to intentionally approach such scene and figure out how to make it survive in the viewer's memory. You said to me once, it is not enough to simply take a photograph, but to ask oneself simple questions like "...where does the light come from?"

It was Ruskin who wrote: " Your art is to be the praise of something that you love. It may only be the praise of a shell or a stone". I admit I was somewhat blind to the appearance of things until I started paying attention to your work back in 2013. Tonight I took my time to view your elephant image here, it took me a long time so forgive me for late (and lengthy) reply. One might call this a simple frame but the textures, colours and details are just amazing. The light is beautiful, it strikes the subject from a perfect angle and brings out such lovely details. Perfect framing. A truly authentic representation of your experience and I so enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela an insightful post. I wonder what this elephant's life experience is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As one who loves eles and worry about their fate, I appreciate this beautifully captured image. He looks like a very old elephant, and my wish is that he will stay safe from the poachers.

11. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I love these types of images where, while it's not high flying dynamic action, everything is just done so well. Excellent detail on the elephant, beautiful light, and a great color palette. I really like how the colors get lighter and slowly transition from orange red to light blue with tons of tones in between. Great post by Gabriela who summed up a lot of my thoughts very well. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool shot of this bull like all the grass hanging out of his mouth.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This shot seems to exemplify what you often say about tonal separation and making the foreground and subject stand out. I like the image it is simple in terms of composition but it is compelling because the elephant is so eye catching.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great post Gabriela. Steve have been back a few times musing this one,I can't really add much to what's already been so eloquently said love the colours depth lights detail raised foot mouth of grub, and on . Just one thing that struck me from the off and it's stuck with me. I sort of want the trees acacias? behind him ,almost wish he was clearing them as opposed to walking in to them. I obviously don't know if this was possible. I'm also unsure of my reasoning why,I suspect i'd prefer the trees not intersecting the head,but that gut feeling has stayed

Mate a real feeling of serenity to this one besides that wonderful execution for me it's almost a soothing calming image,sounds sort of strange but it is

take care TFS

stu