Thread: Osprey Fishing Photography Help

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey Fishing Photography Help

Hi All
    I would be attempting to photograph an Osprey fishing soon. I have a few questions about setting up my Canon 5DMkiii and Sigma 150-600mm C lens for this.
    I would like to get a photo off the Osprey with fish in talons just as it has exited from the water. The water and background will be green and the morning light would be variable but low. I will be shooting from a bird hide. There will not be much else to shoot and I will be waiting around for hours for an Osprey to dive.
    Shooting Mode
    I normally use Manual mode for none bird in flight photos. However, as I would only have 7-10 seconds to get the shot, I may not have time to adjust the exposure manually as it will all happen very fast.
    Should I use Tv or Av mode instead?
    Should I use positive exposure compensation and by how much?

Metering mode
    I normally use centre weighted. Is there an advantage to using another mode?

Focus Points
    Central, single point with 4 expanded points

Image Stabilisation
    At shutter speeds over 1/1000 is there any advantage to leaving it on?
    Will it slow down my Auto Focus or tracking?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If the bird is going over open water the chances are that the bird will be in the same lighting for the entire flight path you are interested in so you will want to use manual - if you use any form of programmed metering the background will affect the exposure. So for example as it comes in from above treeline the sky will cause the bird to be underexposed, and as it passes distant foliage they will cause the bird to be overexposed so you are guaranteed to have to alter settings.
    If the bird is flying from light and then through shadow my guess is you will be changing exposure whether you use manual or auto metering. So I would stay with manual. To get the exposure, you could find something that is in the same light as you expect (hope) the bird to be in and meter off that - grass is the one I try and use most (grass is about standard 18% grey) and if you see a bird flying through the area of interest while you are waiting grab a shot and check exposure. Shutter speed I would aim for 1/1500 minimum and take it from there.

Some people say that IS interferes with AF, many say it doesn't - take your pick. Any comment I have heard about IS and AF is that it takes half a second or so for the IS to settle down and it is this (rather than failure of AF) that causes problems - hopefully with the osprey you will have time to focus and track which will avoid this. With a 600mm lens at anything below 1/1500 I would keep IS on - it would be a bummer to have a rare shot ruined by camera shake.

3. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks @Mike Hitchen
    So I keep my exposure neutral whist metering off the grass of equivalent luminosity as the Osprey ?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey Fishing Photography Help

Thanks Mike!
    So I keep my exposure neutral whilst metering off the grass?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

pretty much - it does depend on the lighting conditions and if it is bright green grass or darker tree foliage but it will generally be within one stop, enough for the 5D3 to handle. In bright sunlight with the whites of the osprey I would keep it neutral or a bit below, in gentle conditions you may be able to push it a bit to the right. If you only expect a couple of passes I would tend to play safe.

7. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hitchen View Post
    pretty much - it does depend on the lighting conditions and if it is bright green grass or darker tree foliage but it will generally be within one stop, enough for the 5D3 to handle. In bright sunlight with the whites of the osprey I would keep it neutral or a bit below, in gentle conditions you may be able to push it a bit to the right. If you only expect a couple of passes I would tend to play safe.
    "Gentle conditions" in England that equates to dull overcast skies! My strategy is to start focusing when the Osprey hits the water!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hear ya, says I from Manchester. Whre are you shooting ospreys?

10. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hitchen View Post
    I hear ya, says I from Manchester. Whre are you shooting ospreys?
    Mike I am an honorary Manch, I lived there for 3 years! Went back last year and could not recognize the city at all.

Horn Mill Osprey Hide Rutland

http://www.rivergwashtroutfarm.co.uk...l-osprey-hide/