Thread: Bobolink

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bobolink

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been wanting to photograph Bobolink for a really long time. Finally got up to the grasslands and had a chance at them. For some reason I much prefer the shots taken later in the morning in stronger light. As the sun came up higher a few disperse and wispy clouds moved in. That is when this photo was taken. I kept the shutter speed very high and that kept the whites totally controlled and kept good details in the blacks. The white in the blacks is the reflection from the sun. I have some photos of them against clean backgrounds but chose this one as it really shows where they live in the beautiful and colorful grasslands. I did consider removing the yellow below the bird as it could be a bit distracting but decided to leave it because I think it shows how the tones of the birds head blend in with the surroundings. I imagine some would clone those out.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 1000, F7.1, SS 1/3200. Tripod mounted.

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 06-14-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a pleasing image and it's so artistic. The pose on the bobolink is special as are the various flowers in the BG.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice pose and I don't mind the stronger light. I like the perch and actually like the yellow under the bird as well. Details are good and I like the 'loose' grip on the perch as it makes the bird look very relaxed. TFS

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I photographed this species just recently as well, but on typical farmland fence posts. I like the natural perch you got here, as well as the flowers (good call leaving that yellow one in IMO).

7. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When we get them passing through New York City in the spring we get really low numbers of them and typically they just drop down in some weedy field and then leave quickly. In the fall we get bigger numbers that stick around the barrier beaches but they are in their dull winter plumage and all look like the females. There is a place in New Jersey that has good numbers of them but it is a private farm and they do not let anyone in. The place where I got this guy is littered with them and is about 2 hours north of the city. It is a restored grassland that was part of an old airport. Nothing manmade there at all but a small platform and a bathroom. The rest is pristine grasslands. Really is a huge treat to be there and see the grassland species like Grasshopper Sparrow, Meadowlarks and Bobolink. Really was highly enjoyable to watch them interact, do flight displays and defend their territories as I just don't get to spend enough time with this species.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am really liking this image. Very interesting bird I was not familiar with, almost looks like it was made from spare parts. Nice work,
    thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

10. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice looking bird Isaac. I like the pose and all those different colors. Good composition and excellent work controlling the whites and blacks. Thank you for sharing.

12. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like everything about this capture, Isaac. The delicate perch, and that soft pastel quality of the BG add to that great pose. The yellow flowers are just fine.

Geoffrey

http://http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I rarely say this but I am really liking the OOF flowers.
    The spiky leaves add nice geometric lines.
    Bobolink looks excellent and I love the sweep of his near wing and the perky tail.
    Yellow flowers look fine to me. I would have left them in if this was my image.
    I would crop a bit more off the LHS of the frame to get rid of the dark stubby stem. The bobolink has lots of room to look into and a bit tighter crop would also make the bird a bit more prominent.
    Really nice Isaac,
    Gail

15. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail could you be more specific as to where you would crop from? You mean cut off the spiky flower at the end of the stock? If I did that then I would cut off the flower in the background. So I decided leave as is but am open to suggestions of course.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Isaac,
    Here is my crop for your image. Just a tiny tweek!
    Gail

18. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh that stick. Minor change Gail but so much better. Totally like your crop more. It's funny how I looked at that spot, thought of cloning it out but decided it was a grassland and background does not need to be perfect. Never occurred to me just to do a slight crop and problem solved!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image, the OOF flowers add depth. Lovely pose, HA and feather detail on the bird. The thin, shaped perch adds to the image. Nice colours throughout.

Will