Thread: Common Redstart is singing it's heart out

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Redstart is singing it's heart out

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to constant singing and posing of this common redstart, long long wait for the star bird -- Koklass Pheasant --- was less boring. This image was made in Pingdingshan, mountainous region of China from a bird hide using Nikon D810 and 600 mm F4 lens.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, nice calling pose. To me, I think the bird is a little too small in the frame as the perch is dominating. Also, I feel the whites on the bird look a little too hot and some of the blacks a bit choked. Some NR on the background might help a little (what were settings on this shot?) as well as help to blur some of the more distracting elements. TFS and I look forward to more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex,

thanks for time and efforts in detailed comments. Much appreciated. Even though image was taken with D810 and with 600 + 1.4 X TC, bird is so tiny that it was really small in the frame. I do have another image with tighter crop but here I went for "environmental" shot. The whites are actually irridescent silver and most of the body is black -- so too wide dynamic range, so decided to give away whites. But do agree with your observations. Look forward to more in the future.

Settings:
    Nikon D500, 600 mm F4, f8, 1/500, IS0 1000.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the calling pose but agree the perch is really dominating this frame when the bird and its behavior should be the main focus. I do like that BG and how it matches your bird.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook