Thread: Fox Kit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fox Kit

Attached Images Attached Images

Fox kit in morning light. I have been trying to photograph fox kits for the last few years. All the waiting finally paid off. It was quite fun too watch them play and jump around with one another. This was the last little one out of the den. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 800
    f6.3
    1/1600sec

2. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John very nice capture of this little chap in it's habitat and cute the way it's showing it's lovely little face,very nice natural shot of these shy animals.

Keith.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

Your subject is really adorable, and so tiny! He looks sleepy...This lovely morning light enhances his beautiful features and adds a bit of tenderness, or warmth, to the scene itself.

I like this. Subject sharp where it matters and stands out well despite the busy environment. I would love a close-up of this little face, if you have.

Looking forward to more, thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, your patience paid off so top marks, but I hope they still have a fear of 'man' .

The head on portrait works, but watch the strong blacks/shadows that are created by the light, there is clipping so you need either to watch your histogram in Camera or in LR. The leaf I feel is a distraction, so either clone if your ethic allows, or, providing you don't disturb the den site I might try and remove it, but hesitant in case you leave your scent and so it may cause them to leave. Techs look good and good to have a higher SS up your sleeve. I might be tempted to crop a fraction off the top and more off the bottom? Is this a crop, if so by how much, as cropping in camera with some space left for final cropping is always ideal and retain more IQ.

TFS
    Steve

6. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cute image, nice detail and sprees. The surrounding area works well with the overall colors. I don't mind your original crop or Steve's, I feel they both work.

8. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- I fully agree with what Steve has to say, critique well covered . I really liked this cute little character , well done on your part for capturing this lovely image .

TFS !
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 07-08-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John I got to spend some time with some young fox kits years back,their play was ,well lets say this,it will never leave me,that special,so i'm sort of on tenderhooks now as to what might follow.
    Congrats on your patience and craft and getting this shot. Blue eyes ,so cool when do they change in your kits John?

As with Hasseb ,I feel Steve has the critique nailed,I definitely want a bit off the bottom crop wise,unsure about the top but def some of the base

John please show more if you have them and again my complete admiration for going back time and again over the years. This to me as I slowly learn, is why wildlife is so utterly rewarding...time and again it doesn't all quite work out.But mum nature is watching, and she always gives back,she just makes us work a bit tis all

wonderful John good for you!!!!!

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Nice warm light and the head on pose works well. Agree with Steve's critique on the strong blacks. I also like his crop from the bottom to remove the dark shadows. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

12. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seeing a fox and/or kit in person is one my fervent wishes! I've only seen them in photos, and your photo is wonderful.

15. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post