Thread: Cheetah brothers

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah brothers

Attached Images Attached Images

Whilst out one morning we had a call from the next door property that three Cheetah brothers had been sighted close to the boundary, after two weeks without showing. So, having been given permission to cross and enter the area, we quickly found them, as two Jackals were 'probing & testing' the brothers and a Bateleur Eagle was circling. The three brothers had taken down an Impala and had dragged it into some bushes to try to hide things and so both access, light and avoiding distracting elements were of a premium. As we slowly pulled up the Cheetahs were drawing breath, their chests pounding, but constantly on edge, eager to eat the kill, as we knew they hadn't eaten for some time. Not to stress them out even more, we only stayed a few minutes fired off a few frames then left.

With hindsight a sliver more at the foot. Some will find the grass stem on the Cheetah distracting, no real way of toning it down, I could remove it, but why, so it stays in my book.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Cheetah brothers (Acinonyx jubatus) on a kill
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI!
    Lens: 200-400 f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/5.6 ISO1250
    Original format: Landscape, minimal crop, FF on the sides
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

2. Thanks Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely detail... dappled light handled well as the light looks harsh. You can see the stress on there faces looking around for approaching predators.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Before reading your intro I could feel them breathing heavily to catch their breath after the kill. I like the poses with them all looking in different directions for any threats. The bit of blood on their faces adds. You handled the dappled light well. Yes, maybe a sliver more below would improve it but certainly not a deal breaker. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Not easy to expose in those lighting conditions, but if someone can do it well then it's you:) Great techs and nice separation between subjects and background, colours spot-on. So is sharpness as well as detail. I agree, a little more at the bottom of the frame would be good, in the same breath I do like the space above and that bit of environment which adds context to the scene. Love the intensity from the three cheetahs anxiously scanning their surroundings for potential enemies. You have captured a great sense of kinship and cooperation between them, this is an important aspect of their behaviour as it ensures their survival. I derive great pleasure from viewing such images, glad you had the opportunity to experience as well as capture this brief encounter - thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

H Gabriela, the new body that was hot off the decks at that time from Canon needed refining in the field, so some shots were pants, but all address ASAP by Canon, although I think you too have had similar experiences.

glad you had the opportunity to experience as well as capture this brief encounter!
    Yep worked out, however shortly after there appeared to be a rift between the two camps and the opportunity of entering into one another concession was stopped!!!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember the issue, Steve:) Earlier this year I had all my gear cleaned and serviced by Nikon after the Kalahari trip. Also new firmware on the D5. I forgot to check the camera settings when I got my equipment back (all cameras were reset to factory settings, ouch) and so one morning I went on a game drive on a nearby reserve. Had lions walking near the vehicle and playing around, weather was not great but I was confident the D5 would work its magic. When I got home and downloaded my images I could not figure out what was wrong, I blamed it all on the new 200-400 I was trying out. Only later I thought of checking my camera settings...Oh well, does one ever stop learning?!
    Hope you have a super week, I am so excited to view so many lovely images in this Forum tonight! Spent most of the evening in front of the computer... tomorrow is Monday so time for me to go to the feathers

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve firstly it's interesting to read yours and Gabriela's comment on camera settings after our telephone recent conversation.I know it must have been a bit difficult with the dappled shade but looks like you cracked it,it's good that you got all different head angles,nice work Steve.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Great to see your post after a while . Liked the way you have handled the light , very nicely done. The image captures the scenario quite well, clearly depicting their thought process and the after kill situation. Works very nicely for me as presented. And very thoughtful of you to allow them that much needed space.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And very thoughtful of you to allow them that much needed space.
    Thanks Haseeb, it's all about respect, I've seen too many images where the capture conveys stressing the subjects. I also won't just sit on a sighting, I will always share the sighting, sadly it's not always reciprocated - 'Good Karma' .

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colours and details and I fully appreciate you captured their behavior i.e. looking this way and that but I have to admit I find it a little awkward to look at. My eyes won't settle!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Steve - I tell about the tiger sightings, especially the jeep with children or a family , they just enjoy the sighting and dont complaint that it is in the bushes or no clear view and all that sort of photographers tantrums and on the positive side they give you good wishes for better sightings and sometimes it works !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve first up all kudos for your care and thought of the subjects. Second the handling of the light which must have been really tricky is wonderful. Steve,what mm did you make this at please, and a rough distance away from subjects?

It's a complicated frame Steve,so much being conveyed I actually really like the three differening head angles and yes I would like more at the base of frame. I don't find the grasses distracting at all.

Love the post work and the detail as always

TFS

stu