Thread: Enchantment of a Loud and Very Close Lion Roar.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Enchantment of a Loud and Very Close Lion Roar.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 1600
    F6.3
    1/3000s

Kalahari 2014. Kij Kij waterhole, 07.55 am. Lion so close to the vehicle... Andreas arrives at the scene the very moment this lovely male starts roaring...Have you any images from this sighting, Boet?

Almost FF, crop about 10%. Processed in LR and PSCC. Flipped canvas horizontally.

Thought this might fit in with this month's Theme. Looking forward to your comments and suggestions:)

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- What a fantastic image , well timed !! Loved the roaring Lion, looks so strong and handsome with that multi colored mane of his. Nice sharpness and also some nice details coming through . I would have liked some more space at the foot of the frame , appears a tad tight for my liking. Appears a nicely processed image as well .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, good call on flipping and for me, it has no detrimental harm to the image, in fact it's enhanced it. I also like the 'striding/roaring' behavioural aspect of the capture. I personally feel the crop just needs to come down a little with more at the foot with less above.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - See this one has that something extra to compensate for the closed eyes e.g. the strong walking pose while roaring. Nice tones and color palette. The blood on the paw also adds to the dominance feeling this male exudes. Pano works but agree it needs a tad more below and less above.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot, I almost feel his roar in my stomach (heard lions roar in zoo's). Really like the pose, the head and the front right leg, plus the details in it's mane. I agree with Haseeb, a bit more room at the bottom would have been better. Wish I had a shot like this! Is that blood on his hind legs? Battle for territory?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela it's the colour Palette that makes this for me it's lovely,don't think you could improve on the mane with it's fine detail and texture of the fur,traces of blood just adds more to the story,excellent work.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear friends, I appreciate all your comments and time to view:)

To answer your questions: no room below, not even one millimetre... sorry:) This is almost FF, took out a bit from the top and behind the lion. I do realise it is too tight on the bottom. There is some blood on the subject's legs from the kill he and his female shared earlier, also urine (male lions sometimes urinate when lying down).

I will share another frame from this sighting very soon, hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week-end,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OOHH....I love that pose and the textures are amazing. Very nice Gabriela!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Dumay!

So happy to see you are back, I miss your beautiful leopard shots

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .....yes i do have .....
    Stunning moment captured !!!!
    All looks good to me , love the clean surrounding with the Lion jumping out of the frame .
    As always .....nota lover of flipping stuff .....does not make sense to me , even if others think different . Specially when i took the image myself , but everyone else´s call .
    How about adding some tiny bit of mid tone ?

Great memories arising .....

Thanks for that , cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Boetie:)

We have some wonderful memories, Andreas. Hope you can share some of your own images from this sighting.

Flipping - it doesn't always work but I felt it made a difference in this case. I will explain to you my theory on flipping one evening when we have a chat.

I will work on those midtones when I get a chance, Steve advised me the same thing. I guess I am posting too soon after processing my images, I should take some time and look at them the next day.

Thank you so much for viewing, I was hoping you would like those images, if only for memory sake:)

Have a lovely evening, chat soon,

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Gabriela .....yes i do have .....
    Stunning moment captured !!!!
    All looks good to me , love the clean surrounding with the Lion jumping out of the frame .
    As always .....nota lover of flipping stuff .....does not make sense to me , even if others think different . Specially when i took the image myself , but everyone else´s call .
    How about adding some tiny bit of mid tone ?

Great memories arising .....

Thanks for that , cheers Andreas
    Gabriela Plesea