Thread: Eurasian brown bear Ursus arctos

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eurasian brown bear Ursus arctos

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II & 1.4TC III, Auto ISO 5000 +1/3, 1/1250 sec, f5.6
    ACR & PSCC, luminosity adjustments to light grasses and pale fur/dark fur.
    I didn't apply NR other than a small amount in ACR.
    There appears to be an artifact on the edges of green patches URC but this is in the full sized raw file so I have left it. (No cloning or patching applied)

Spring was late in Finland, it had recently commenced but there were intermittent snow showers.... the upside to this - no mozzies!
    Hope you like it because I have a few more!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

I like it very much, and I do want more:)

Techs look fine to me and the composition is great, I appreciate the inclusion of environment here and those snow flakes add a certain charm to the frame. Bear is really cute, love the pose you captured.

Really difficult for me to comment on colours as I am not familiar with the species, nor the location where this image was captured. Besides, I have not seen snow in twenty-some years:) I do feel the need for more contrast and "depth", looks a bit flat overall?

Thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- A lovely image with all that inclusion of the environment and a nice eye contact as well . The snow is certainly adding to the winter kind of feel to the scene. Agree with Gabriela, it appears a bit flat to me as well and that Oof branch on the rhs is a bit of distraction for me . Definitely looking forward for more images from your trip .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, have you any more frames further on with the Bear more left? The reason I ask is that I find the FG sapling catching my eye and so distracting, taking away the direct focus to the subject. I assume the camera was 'ball' mounted rather than HH in the hide, if so, then perhaps having the 2x may have 'cropped' passed the sapling? OK you would go straight to f/8 and would need to have upped the ISO, but not an issue. Have you 'lifted' the image at all?

The light flurry of snow adds to the scene and I quite like the green patches as it breaks up the overall colour.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Great look at the bear. He appears to know you are there and be checking you out. I also love the inclusion of habitat and the falling snow. I agree with Steve about the sapling and also if you do have any with the bear having walked a bit more to the left then the bear's rump also would not be intersecting the tree stump in the bg. I realize it was probably overcast and a bit dreary but agree that a bit more punch would take the image up a notch though you do have to be careful of noise on the bear and also it appearing crunchy due to the wet fur. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I have made that many different versions of this bear cub I could not decide in the end what to do!. I agree on reflection a bit flat - no excuses but it was very flat and I was trying to lower the highlights especially in the fur and grasses whilst at the same time trying to get some depth and detail in the dark fur. I think I have learned to back off with the sharpening on the bear - maybe following images will be a bit better. I do have more frames of this little bear so I will make another post taking on board your feedback.
    Steve I was in the large hide so I did indeed use the tour guide's monopod and my ballhead. I found the low height of the aperture for the lens very awkward - wish I had taken my right angle viewfinder! Tripod no use whatsoever!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did indeed use the tour guide's monopod and my ballhead.
    So no 'studs' along the bench to fix a ball head, not good, especially with low light throughout the night, oh well. At least you didn't get eaten alive by the bugs!!! An Angle finder is always worth keeping in your bag.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

"An Angle finder is always worth keeping in your bag".
    Yup and even more useful in the bag you take with you! (Left it in my big bag back at home!!)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yup and even more useful in the bag you take with you! (Left it in my big bag back at home!!)
    That's why I have a 'Sherpa' for Monday as I will be taking a lot of kit for the day .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon I always find composition a bit difficult with the subject looking strait ahead,this looks fine to me,that lovely thick fur looks just right for the snowy conditions which you have captured ,really like this one Jon.

Keith.