Thank You Posts

Default Let me finish my tea.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hare.
    Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm 2.8
    1/640@f6.3
    iso 1000.

Thanks for taking a look,I know it's a bit central and the corn leaves cross it but I do like it's little face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With the dead on stare, I have no problem with the central compositions Keith, works well for me. Again, the 'looking through the leaves' aspect frames the Hare nicely, not everything has to be perfectly clean all round, I like the environmental feel.

I'm no expert on this, but the colours look quite muted compared to some others I've seen, but I'm guessing this was his/her natural colours.

Mike

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith - I quite like the caught in the act look of this one including the central placement. The grass in the mouth takes it up a notch. Sharpness, dof and colors all look good to me. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose, Keith!
    I like when they are comfortable enough to keep eating while we're taking pictures!
    Especially since this seems to be a wide open field.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith -- what a look ! i liked that face and expression on the subject. The techs are fine from pov and details are quite nice. As far as the overall colours are concerned, they look quite monotonish to me . I am not aware of the actual settings though. But a lovely looking creature .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the look of surprise on its face, and the lack of it's trademark, the ears makes it an interesting shot to me.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello dear Keith!

Have you finished your tea yet? I am busy with a cup of PG Tips right now And smiling from ear to ear looking at your cute little hare, the look of surprise on his face absolutely priceless, very well captured!

Pose is great and I quite like the central placement of the subject within the frame. Image overall a bit soft IMO, and slightly dull in terms of colours - possibly the result of low SS. You could add a bit of "pop" with a small curve adjustment and maybe a tad more sharpening here and there, WDYT?

Have a wonderful evening!

PS. I sincerely hope you do not mind my RP

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith a nice shot I too think a little lacking in pop. Several ways to address this, I think Gabriela is pretty close, perhaps a teeny weeny too much on the hare.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your tips and comments,Mike you have a point re the colour I was working on the green corn leaves that look spot on to me,if I remember it was getting late in the day and of course these baby Hares do not have the stronger colours of the adults,Gabriela as also covered this so I will have another look.Rachel I also like the bit of grass,Martin image taken from my car this little chap hopped right up to me,Haseeb you are not by yourself re colour but nice to have it from another pair of eyes,Bretoteanu have some more with ears which I will post at a later date,Gabriela don,t mind your repost at all in fact it's very welcome and does make the Hare stand out a bit more,must admit I am ok with the sharpingon the op and I do try to keep the lovely softness of the fur that these babies have,it,s great to know the views of others,Jon thanks for your input.

Keith

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, my first question is - why Landscape and not Portrait?

Personally a bit lower would have been better I feel, however I understand some of the limitations you faced. The vegetation is what it is and not much you could have done, but the bit of leaf in the mouth is a nice touch. Techs, I think you could easily have upped the SS with compromise, especially HH, but you have got sharpness and good detail within the capture.

Keith, I'm current now in 'God's' country so laptop is not ideal, you can get a lot more detail within the vegetation, but just getting back some colour in the subject and getting a hint more tonal depth in the FG helps IMHO. I have cropped portrait to loose the dead space flanking the sides in the hope of bringing more focus to the subject IMHO???? If anything, I would address the white blobs to the left of the shoulder as viewed in the BKG as they are a little distracting I think??? Shooting the right format is key, retains IQ and you are not throwing huge chunks of good data away!!!!

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,(Hi Keith, my first question is )at the time I took this everything I did was in landscape only recently used portrait,still working on the layers,I see the white spots,thanks for your input.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Deeply deeply interesting buddy, reading this!! Keith, can you talk me through the light on the day please.

We spent some hours with the guys on the maize shoots recently, jeepers Keith this 'wold soil is hard core, came home bloodied, elbows and knees shot to bits!! My take on the corn (colour) is it's bang on ,but echo the comments on leveret needing a bit of something. Keith I'm arguing with myself as I write here, because in our brit cloud I recognise colour of kidlet only thing that is really alien is soil colour which as we both know varies so much regionally . The leverts here vary a bit Keith,it is not so pronounced as the adults,but i'm starting slowly to get my eye in but I'm not there yet. Your leveret is very grey Keith that may well be it's true colour. We are both debating all this as I reply buddy , I have question marks within my reply and have tapped into my other half's eyes,she plausibly sees more of (UK) hares with the naked eye than I do,mines always behind the brick,so I value her eyes. Her comments are it looks right. Gabby's repost is clever,to me it gains that pop ,but without making the leveret look wrong colour wise ,it's almost in my laymans terms in need of more contrast,which I guess the curves have adressed.It will never cease to amaze me how the good folks here just notch images upwards in such subtle ways.

Singularly interesting Keith,you know I love much of what you do, obviously hares are a shared love.It's inspiring to me what a guy with your ability can do with a subject that is my complete passion of late. I have no probs with the crop,but noted the landscape/portrait comments and reply. In close Keith this facet is costing me,as I learn,the ropes ,that said I feel it's really worth pushing myself very hard to aquire it . This will be a skill I'll need in the future it's becoming a must have of late!! But one i personally find so tricky with hares that in seconds go from a position demanding one orientation ,to another body shape needing the other one.

A joy mate, cheers for sharing an absolute pleasure to view and much much more

take care bro

Stu