Thread: Cherries Tanager - Red backpack on... waiting for the school bus...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cherries Tanager - Red backpack on... waiting for the school bus...

Attached Images Attached Images

Another one from Costa Rica earlier this year.

Settings: D500, 150-600 G2, 1/250 (too low) , 5.6, 420, ISO 100

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you have a very interesting perch and nice background here. Like the contrast between the striking colors of the bird and the green background. I like the small in the frame look here as well. The problem you have is that the reds on the bird over saturated and the blacks are blocked, meaning you have no details in them. I never go below ISO 400 on any of my cameras. Shutter speed is very low on this as well. You are always better off shooting at a higher ISO and a faster shutter speed. I would tone down the highlights on the stem and the junction where the stem leads to the leaf. Also think it might be nice if we could see the full leaves that are cut off at the bottom of the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Isaac totally. Going back to the RAW and reworking it, will be worth a go, but I think you may have lost the blacks for detail.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good advice above. I have seen these birds in real life and the reds, I think, are accurate. So, for me, the problem is the blacks that are underexposed and have no detail.
    I like your comp and love the BG.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good advice above. I have seen these birds in real life and the reds, I think, are accurate.

I think they are mostly accurate too. I did PP but don't think I played with sats - although nothing says SOOC colors are accurate of course.

So, for me, the problem is the blacks that are underexposed and have no detail.

Yes, and, THESE blacks are already lifted some - but, I'll see what more can be done.

I like your comp and love the BG.

Thanks - and thanks all who have commented in terms of possible improvements.