Thread: Protective Skins for DSLR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Protective Skins for DSLR

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi guys, I was having a look at this product. Does anyone use one, and, if so, what do you think. Thanks in advance.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I used one...once. The fit was ok, but operating the controls through the plastic
    windows, was just to much of a hassle. With today's cameras getting better
    and better in regards to sealing, I also don't mind if my camera gets rained on.

I guess there could be an argument to use one to protect the body in case
    you want to sell it or trade it in a few years down the road. But, if I was
    a buyer, I'd be more concerned with shutter count, electronics vs cosmetics.

Doug

3. Thanks Phani Krishna thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Doug. I don't mind the rain on the camera, I had an accident with my camera, on a boat, where it fell over, onto a wooden seat. I was just thinking that this may have prevented any damage, and absorbed the shock of the fall.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, I bought one many years ago, 2007. Had it for a day and hated it and it's still in the loft, you have a 1DX you will be fine, just don't drop it! Just use Lenscoat for your lenses.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Steve.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting thread Will,I've tried everywhere for one of these for a 1Div. My reasoning for need was simply how I stalk and where. Fundamentally to protect from cosmetic type damage especially when up in the wolds and lying/moving prone in a lot of scree. When one is down so low and largely on rocks I just wanted to try and prevent all those little knocks I could see a real chance of me causing. From the replies from Doug and Steve maybe I saved a bob,I don't know Will. I also helped it might dampen shutternoise slightly,mind I know enough about sound proofing,to guess it wouldn't be much.
    I didn't actually feel it would be much different to operate to the camera with the skin on than without)looks like I got that wrong),rain didn't figure much either. the camo and the little knock and a slight possibility in NR(sound)

Many thanks Will, an interesting read

take care

Stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, I just looked and cannot find one for the 1DMKIV, seriously the MKIV is rugged, you really do not need it, my one was out in all weathers and it survived everything that the weather could through at it. I found it too grippy because of the rubber and in warm weather horrible to the touch, save your money. If you had a MKIII then you could have had mine - one careful owner, used once, as new FOC.

Treat yourself to a few beers in stead.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Stu, I just looked and cannot find one for the 1DMKIV, seriously the MKIV is rugged, you really do not need it, my one was out in all weathers and it survived everything that the weather could through at it. I found it too grippy because of the rubber and in warm weather horrible to the touch, save your money. If you had a MKIII then you could have had mine - one careful owner, used once, as new FOC.

Treat yourself to a few beers in stead.
    Hiya Steve,
    ha ha, all spare pennies are going to new PC,the beer can wait a while Need PS Steve...simple as... I'll get there buddy. Steve the weather doesn't really phase me ,mine's been out in all weathers too i'm pretty confident in it's weather sealing. I graft hard for my gear buddy and naturally want to try and look after it as best I can,this cover is all about me crawling about on those cotswold stones where despite my best efforts I sometimes catch one of them. So far no marks but it does bother me that I might do some cosmetic damage. So many of my wildlife images are taken from the ground Steve, it's something that does concern me,not the greatest worry in the world though.

Yeah, I've really looked for this product or similar for the iv,but simply can't find it anywhere. Steve I've even sent messages out to the makers,so i'm already as sure as I can be that one can't get the product for my camera anyway.

Steve, thanks for this buddy, as always your incredible kindness is at the fore in your reply to me,thankyou.

take care

Stu