Thread: Yawnnnnnnn

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yawnnnnnnn

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would kick off June's Theme of "No Eye Contact." Another image of a member of the Hollywood Pride in South Luangwa N.P., Zambia.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/2000
    f5.6
    ISO 400
    HH from safari vehicle, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine frame Rachel, no loss of impact with the lack of eye contact here as it fits in perfectly with the yawn. We get a great look at the teeth and some lovely details on the tongue.

I'd consider losing a bit off the top of the frame, there is a bit too much negative space there IMHO.

Gorgeous light - did you burn in the bottom left at all, or does the fur naturally darken, or is it just the light angle?

Mike

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike, yes, your crop suggestion would work. No burning. I think it's just the coat.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- Excellent details and the IQ looks top notch , i liked the composition as well , that tongue looks fantastic. Have seen so many yawn images with the subject facing or parallel to the camera and even this also fits in the later category but with all the finer details this makes a must watch image for me . Superbly done !

TFS !

6. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

I love the details and tonality here, as well as smooth background - a well executed frame and it works for me as is, including composition.

This image demonstrates that lack of eye contact does not necessarily mean no impact. That pink tongue, mean teeth and wrinkled nose are striking features the eye cannot ignore and in fact tell the story.

Right now the words "lazy killer on a sunny morning" come to mind. There is a certain power the species exert upon me when up close, and I am quite certain you feel the same, Rachel...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel,this theme with no eye contact is really good,at one time I would disregard any image if the eye did not have a catch lite and tried mostly unsuccessfully to insert one.This image just shows that you can have real life and felling without the eyes,really like the soft muted colours and the tongue just adds that little more interest,lovely job.

Keith.

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, Gabriela and Keith, much appreciated. Keith, hopefully, you have some more shy mice to share for this month's theme.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel,

great details as usual. Would wonder if not Sideview of yawning cats I like to have the eye open, but this is just me. Everybody has a different taste of course.
    Big teeth for sure I might would consider brightening up a tad the dark spot in the LHS upper corner,. Just a tad. Overall a very nice image.

Have a great week

Ciao Anette

13. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Anette, welcome back! If the eyes were open, it might not fit this month's theme of no eye contact.

Thanks again,
    Rachel