Thread: BLUE HERON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default BLUE HERON

This fellow was down the farm ditch from the road when I stopped my truck but instead of flying away it walked toward me then sashayed around in close proximity, giving me an extended opportunity for close-ups, including the reaction when another heron dropped in out of the sky.Name:  blue heron portrait 1-17-11-16.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  255.5 KB Canon 7 D II,Sigma 150-600mm EX DG OS Contemporary, ISO 1000, f/.6.3, 1/800, HH
    SaveSave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bob, nice image with a few critiques, looks a bit on the yellow side overall, wish the HA was a bit more towards you (but it's out of your control) and I would clone out the
    twig on the bottom right and the black line on its beak.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your review Tim. Actually the twig you mention extended right across the bird and out the top edge of the image before I cloned it away. I wrestled with whether to remove the whole twig and went with it as presented but I get your POV. So far I have gone with a conscious decision not to do bill and beak clean-up cloning but your advice has got me thinking about it. I do like the result of taking that little black line near the tip away.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice young bird with a good EXP and sharp. Needed a bit more head turn toward you and I could do without the stick. The latter is an easy fix if you wish. with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    A nice young bird with a good EXP and sharp. Needed a bit more head turn toward you and I could do without the stick. The latter is an easy fix if you wish. with love, artie
    Thank you Arthur. I've done the suggested clean-up with the RP. I did consider removing the whole of the stick/stalk when I cloned it off the bird but decided then to leave it in. Now, having moved it, I do like the cleaner version. I also did the little black mark on the bill but when I looked at the white markings under the magnifier I could see that those are actually gouges on the surface veneer. So to me that makes them part of the bird ( battle scars maybe ) rather than just sludge so I didn't touch them. I have an eagle with a huge purple/pink healing injury on it's beak that I still haven't decided how to deal with , although I'm leaning towards leaving it in place.Name:  blue heron RP.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  205.4 KB