Thread: ringneck pheasant

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default ringneck pheasant

This handsome gent had a lady bird ghosting alongside of him, in and out of the grass----hope they have some babies somewhere. Canon EOS 7D Mark II,Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro, ISO 640, f/8, 1/1250,HH,1/3Name:  rooster portrait 1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  314.7 KB crop.
    SaveSave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bob, pretty good detail you have on this lovely portrait. I think the grasses all around the bird, make it look natural in habitat. Lovely colours throughout. I would maybe think about cloning out the grass running along above the top of the birds bill, as it draws my attention. Well done.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice details on the bird. Exposure looks good.
    I agree with Will re:grass by the beak. I find the OOF grasses in front of the breast distracting- especially the light green one on the left. You must have been incredibly close with your 150 mm lens. It gives the image a different look,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the grassy habitat, except the one light blade Gail mentions. You could darken it to lessen its impact. Crazy eye, and lots of good detail on the face. Light was getting harsh.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much for the input everyone.I've done the suggested bits of cloning out on this RP, although I figured I'd make too much of a mess of it if I tried to clone out the larger too bright grass stems so I just darkened it a bit as Daniel suggested--the one on the tip of the beak disappeared nicely though. I've misled you Gail on the lens---it was a Sigma 150-600 (taken at full zoom of 600) and when I copied-and-pasted the lens specs from my EXIF I didn't notice that for some reason that line didn't include the full zoom. I do have one exposure with a less detailed and more diffuse looking green BG but I liked the crazy look in the eye of this one.Name:  rooster portrait 2.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  314.9 KB
    SaveSave
    SaveSave