Thread: Permission to land

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Permission to land

Attached Images Attached Images

This weekend I got the chance to go up to Bempton Cliffs in on the East coast of England to see the gannet colonies. This was the the first time I have seen these magnificent birds - unfortunately the weather was too good which is unusual for a public holiday weekend in these parts so the light was harsh at times.
    The stripes on the birds' necks are the wind ruffling the plumage

Canon 1Dx2, 400DOii with 1.4 tc. ISO 400, f9 1/1600. A slight crop with some distracting elements cloned out and highlights brought down in LR CC.

Attachment 169453
    Last edited by Mike Hitchen; 05-29-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: reposted image

2. Thanks Juan Tolentino thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Mike. Love the pose on the BIF. I can see what you mean about the harsh light, but you tamed it well. Good choice of aperture. I like how the cliff splits the frame which gives the BG a sense of distance.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this. My only wish would be a better HA on the incoming gannet and no intersection of the foot with the gannet on the ground,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, I love these types of shots. I agree with Gail re: the HA and no interesction but still very nice. Love how all the others are looking at the incoming one. A minor thing -- it seems like theres a cloning line above the Gannet on the far left cliff edge head? Might be worth smoothing that out. TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A tricky shot given the lighting, I am guessing this was am as opposed to pm. Good details in the whites though possibly the brightest could be brought down a fraction more.
    I would be tempted to warm the image up a little, I tried photo warming filter 85 at a density of 13, I think it helps a little.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions.

Gail - I agree that the head angle and foot placement could be better, but getting it right is what drives us on.
    Jonathan - I have played around with the warming filter and you are right, it does help soften those whites a bit.
    Alex - yes it was a cloning error. There was a horrific specular highlight right in contact with the bird's head and have had another go at removing it.

Name:  Permission to Land-102.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  337.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the interaction, the light was a bit harsh and I wish the gannets had a better HA

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, Rule #1: Point your shadow at the bird ... Is there a time of day at this location when the sun is behind you? If not, pray for clouds. With love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Artie. This ridge was a rib coming off the cliff face so viewing points were limited and this was the best shot where the elements came together (apart fro the light...).