Thread: Bluebirds bringing goodies for the chicks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bluebirds bringing goodies for the chicks

Attached Images Attached Images

I set up a nest box in my backyard which was quickly taken over by a pair of Eastern Bluebirds. They are currently raising their second brood. It is interesting to see the different kinds of insects and spiders they bring back to the young. In this series which I took this morning, the female is shown first with a grub and then the male with a spider. The last photo is a juvenile from the first brood bringing back some kind of fly. I had read that juveniles will sometimes help feed subsequent broods but this is the first time I have witnessed this behavior myself.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning images Allen and the colours are superb,

Interesting behaviour aspect and great to learn about the variety of insects those birds bring back to the nest. I particularly like the second frame with the spider's legs wrapped around the beak of the Bluebird male.

You processed those frames beautifully and I love the detail. I plan to take another look at your post on Sunday evening as I am viewing on the laptop now, very grateful for your contribution here, much appreciated

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Allen Sparks thanked for this post