Thread: A trio of curiosity

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A trio of curiosity

Attached Images Attached Images

07.03am: The golden hour and a trio of male lions, (2 cubs and a 3 yr old sub-adult) have their gaze fixed on 2 lionessess romping and playing with their cubs on the ground below.
    Soon after all 3 raced down to join the commotion.

Ideally would have liked more than just the head of the youngest cub,and more lower room showing the kopje, however being F/F and with the 400+1.4tc prime in my hand that's the risk one takes.

Kusini plains/Serengeti NP- Northern Tanzania. Bean bag- front pax seat, F/F, curves, levels, TX adj's in ACr & PS CC '17

Nikon D5
    Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR + 1.4tcIII
    1/1600s
    f/9
    ISO1400

Cheers
    Marc

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - This isn't really working for me as posted, sorry. The comp is awkward and too in between for me. I realize not enough time to take off the 1.4tc but doing so would have created a more pleasing comp. I would try a crop at the bottom of the chests for more of a pano. The chests are hot, particularly in the red channel. You can tame them and bring out more detail there. I know color is subjective, you were there and it was golden hour but for me the lions are a bit too orange. Just my thoughts. Let's see what others say.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    The comp is awkward and too in between for me. I realize not enough time to take off the 1.4tc but doing so would have created a more pleasing comp.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Can't disagree here Rachel but as stated I simply didn't have the time for any lens adjustment/change as this scene was over in seconds.

The chests are hot, particularly in the red channel.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Have included both via ACR & Fast RAW Viewer histograms, I have to disagree with you on the Reds showing they are maxed out@ 246 and happy with what detail I extracted. I actually reduced the warm tones considerably from the RAW file and felt this is very close to the golden hour conditions at the time.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 05-26-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc - I didn't say blown, I said hot. I feel they are too strong particularly on the chest of the middle cub and that more detail can be extracted there. Here's a rp I did very quickly to show the direction I would go but still not happy with the color.

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc - I didn't say blown, I said hot. I feel they are too strong particularly on the chest of the middle cub and that more detail can be extracted there. Here's a rp I did very quickly to show the direction I would go but still not happy with the color.

Rachel
    Have just edited the "cooked" part out as you were posting sorry Rachel, but we'll just agree to disagree on this

A lions coat colour @ given lighting conditions can be a very subjective thing IMO.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 05-26-2017 at 09:26 AM.

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Marc -- Have to agree with Rachel regarding the comp, looks quite awkward, infact the crop suggested by Rachel somewhat salvages the comp but even then it is not working for me, sorry. As far as colours are concerned they are definitely subjective, and on my last trip to mara, I had witnessed the lions in the golden hour and believe me their coats appeared more orange than the one in this image , so i am with Marc on the colours . Lets see what others have to say .

TFS !

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc I have never had the privilege of seeing Lions in the wild but do understand what you say about colours in different lighting conditions and can see these in this colour with the right lighting conditions,must be great to get them like this and do understand the points made re composition.

Keith.

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc,I taken on board the points made about comp ,but just love the "line" of(caused by) the three asending heads I also like the way the size of those asends too. Impossible for me to enter the debate on colour,I can only say nothing looks out of place for lions at sunset to me. The joys of primes Marc and whether one should affix an ext or not. I'm getting caught my self of late. That said despite the wants framing wise this one does work for me i've looked a few times now. Marc I have to ask did the middle bound off first? His slightly backward lean makes me feel he's about to spring.

cheers mate I like this also very interesting to read

TFS

stu

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Marc,

Indeed golden hour and the light is beautiful, so is your trio of lions!

I too am unsure about comp. Thought I'd try a different one, unfortunately when I removed the little one on the LHS the frame has lost its charm and humour... he was the cutest of them all...

Happy with overall colours under the circumstances, but maybe Rachel is right in saying you could extract more in places? I tried adding some blacks to the reds, no drop in exposure, the change is so slight and I am not sure it makes a difference, WDYT?

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I sorta like the third lion on the left - just having the head and neck gives a feeling of someone poking their head over your shoulder asking 'what is it you are looking at'. For all its deficiencies I think this makes the image is one of humour and interest rather than one of photographic 'perfection'. I don't mean that in an insulting way, Marc: not all images meet 'the criteria' for a classic shot and have different qualities and that is the best way I can express it.

17. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post