Thread: A different Leveret. European brown hare Lepus europeas UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 A different Leveret. European brown hare Lepus europeas UK

Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm so many little hares in our lives of late. This one taken a little while back will stay with me as a deep memory of a day when me and my lady were together feet apart and we both got to share this incredibly memorable encounter. Two kids were playing my lass spotted them and we both slowly folded into the ground. The kids that have given us so much hang very very close to cover,as they are getting bigger they are venturing out more and more. Slowly i'm starting to get chances away from the cover chances of something a little different image wise a chance for a clean bkg and fore. The kids came towards us over the brow of a slight bank. this was the first we don't really know this guy,i'm unsure whether the mark on the ear is transient,he came first and paused on seeing us came a bit closer then headed left for cover. Blaze followed ,Blaze we know well. and he does us,I am unsure on Blaze's sex I have hunches due to head shape that he is male and also that he may well be Taz's sibling. Blaze followed this one ,but didn't spook when he got to a meter away he stopped took a good luck and decided food was more important than fear of the prone clicking guy and his lady. So we got to watch this little wild thing so close I could not frame of even get focus. To share that with my most loved may well be the most special thing I'll take from this incredible series of events for me.

Shot in portrait cropped to 4 again keeping the full frame width, processed in DPP4:6:10

Canon 1Div 300f2.8is 1.4 extiii

1/1000
    f7.1
    iso 2500

I know so many leverets and hares,but it's been fascinating to really gets inside of the heads and lives of them them. That I think is where magic can happen where one sees the things that few do. As someone that would adore to do this properly this little window of light will haunt me and I'll quite possibly cherish it forever As a photographer it has really pushed me to explore image making to try and find something different in a given set situation visited repeatedly. I suppose this is somewhat ordinary it's just a stunning kidlet staring at some clicky thing lying on the ground,it's not a special behaviour no one has seen ,but to me this beyond the feelings outlined above was the start of a new part of my journey.

Cheers so much for all the help and thoughts right through all this I so hope these aren't boring you all. They have been a complete focus image wise for maybe two months now it's hard for me to tare myself from them

take care everyone have a wonderful weekend and all the luck with your chosen photographic endevors

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- This is very nicely done in terms of framing and PP skills. I liked the way you have provided space for those virtual legs and at the same time you have achieved that low POV. I think you could provide more space in the direction its looking , provided if this is not a FF and you have more space at the right. You have also managed to get some lovely details and sharpness as compared to your previous images looks quite better . Lets see what others have to say.

Nice image and TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the whimsical pose and overall colour here Stu, however the low OOF FG is distracting and you could reduce this for less impact IMO, understanding you wanted to allow for the virtual legs.

I feel another small round of USM (at least on the face) may benifit also.

Yourself & Gabriela are indeed a considerable force in the wordsmith dept! Your passion for these creatures really shine through.

TFS

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu - Again nice to see so much improvement both in the field and in pp. I like the tilted pose but felt the oof fg is a bit too much and also the greens a little bright. I also wanted the hare a bit less centered. I cropped some from the left and below, darkened the greens and applied another round of sharpening to the hare. WDYT?

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Stu -- This is very nicely done in terms of framing and PP skills. I liked the way you have provided space for those virtual legs and at the same time you have achieved that low POV. I think you could provide more space in the direction its looking , provided if this is not a FF and you have more space at the right. You have also managed to get some lovely details and sharpness as compared to your previous images looks quite better . Lets see what others have to say.

Nice image and TFS !
    Good Morning Haseeb ,

thanks for the reply,I really feel my lens/camera combo come alive when really close,I wonder if this is helping me of late with the perceived detail I can show,without the selective sharpening that hopefully will be available to me later on. I concur on the framing sadly there is no more width.

Thanks as always my friend

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Mol View Post
    I like the whimsical pose and overall colour here Stu, however the low OOF FG is distracting and you could reduce this for less impact IMO, understanding you wanted to allow for the virtual legs.

I feel another small round of USM (at least on the face) may benifit also.

Yourself & Gabriela are indeed a considerable force in the wordsmith dept! Your passion for these creatures really shine through.

TFS

Marc,deeply humbling words, thank you.

Gabby's use of words are breathtaking to me,but it's lovely, for me, to know that I am conveying my love of these amazing little guys in some form to you all. Point taken on the foreground,good to make too Marc as I feel I had somewhat overlooked this aspect of the frame. I felt because the fore is predominantly oof,it wouldn't have the impact it obviously has to the viewer. I see Rachel has also picked up on this aswell .This is something for me to take forwards mate, i feel I need to re assess my outlook here.

many thanks

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - Again nice to see so much improvement both in the field and in pp. I like the tilted pose but felt the oof fg is a bit too much and also the greens a little bright. I also wanted the hare a bit less centered. I cropped some from the left and below, darkened the greens and applied another round of sharpening to the hare. WDYT?

TFS,
    Rachel

Hiya Rachel,

simply on all counts I think you are right . I love the edit thank you very much indeed. Rachel,i think at times my concerns over presenting something sharp enough without being able to work selectively effect my cropping (almost psycologically). I really don't want to hamper that IQ I'm striving so hard to achieve. I knew I'd framed him a bit central,it's because I was really hoping the little fella would keep coming and i'd grab some " frame filing straight down the barrel type shots". This did actually happen with both of them but I have concerns over IQ in those images sadly hence my post elsewhere,trying to work out where I might improve. As with Marc I misjudged the foreground i'm glad you both pointed this out.

The extra round of sharpening Rachel really makes the leveret pop,i'm quite taken with what you have done mate ,it's such a difference.

Thankyou Rachel the help given here has given me a chance to make something of what will probably be a once in a life time experience I'll cherish this for life

cheers

Stu

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu a pretty little face on this one,head and eyes look nice and sharp,I like this, a tiny nit that I don,t think you could do anything about but the the angle the Hare is sitting at looks a bit uncomfortable ,just my take and I could be way out.Think Rachels repost just toning down the greens looks about right,well done mate.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Stu a pretty little face on this one,head and eyes look nice and sharp,I like this, a tiny nit that I don,t think you could do anything about but the the angle the Hare is sitting at looks a bit uncomfortable ,just my take and I could be way out.Think Rachels repost just toning down the greens looks about right,well done mate.

Keith.
    Sweet aren't they buddy,so many hares Keith know how you feel with the mice,but what can we do?

Keith, little fella is actually standing,he's cresting a brow if one likes,so back legs and backline are lower giving that sat down impression,maybe that's what you are seeing buddy couple in that slight lean as he stopped on spotting us for the second time(he paused earlier) or maybe hearing the shutter, I see what you mean. Good spot Keith, I value the different things we all see in an image.

Thanks for the reply mate,ha ha Keith I'm in cloud cuckoo land with all this

take care

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Stu,

This is your best Leveret image IMO!

Well seen, well captured, and nice PP work too. Lovely colours. Rachel's crop is spot-on. Love those delicate long whiskers and dreamy pose, super BG. Really impressed with your progress, mate

Sorry for brief comments - I am trying to prepare for a meeting at work tomorrow but just could not help looking, very happy with this, keep them coming!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu a very nice image indeed, I think Rachels repost has certainly helped, the colours and sharpening have improved but given your limited software I think you did very well indeed.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your best yet Stu.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Dear Stu,

This is your best Leveret image IMO!

Well seen, well captured, and nice PP work too. Lovely colours. Rachel's crop is spot-on. Love those delicate long whiskers and dreamy pose, super BG. Really impressed with your progress, mate

Sorry for brief comments - I am trying to prepare for a meeting at work tomorrow but just could not help looking, very happy with this, keep them coming!

Kind regards,
    Gabby,brief is more than enough thank you so much. Trouble is I know not what is best, as important to me is your meeting went well I'm pushing again grafting for my dream so am trying to find time too.My apologies also

I concur ,I love what Rachel did ahh mate you guys are all so brilliant,thanks for taking a wayward stray into your midst who just adores nature,if I have got better at image making the credit is yours and some little chaps naturally who gave me a chance when all was bad,ha ha but didn't I taken that chance and graft it!!

bless ya mate
    Still hope the meeting rocked ,can only be me Gabby

stu

16. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Your best yet Stu.
    Haven't seen you about kiddo was starting to worry, you would have got an email tonight bar this.

Steve just for a few weeks I got to graft/play at being a photographer I remember saying to you somewhere what might happen if I could just get some time in, this is part of what happened!! Too much accumulated to really assimilate yet buddy.I genuinely haven't a clue if there is better just know I got a chance . Your efforts towards me gave me that chance to achieve this, if it's better, like with everyone else my most humble thanks I take little for me on this one.

I owe ya mate simple as, if you have time pop back a bit there was one for you iso 5000 again your steerage.

Steven,words fail and I'll go off on one trying to articulate,so won't

thank you thank you thank you

HA ha......bring it on
    take care buddy must dash
    stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Hi Stu a very nice image indeed, I think Rachels repost has certainly helped, the colours and sharpening have improved but given your limited software I think you did very well indeed.
    Sorry Jon, I didn't miss you, just sent your reply to mars or somewhere ,please forgive. Again I can only say thank you your efforts mate your credit this one has to be shared right!!

Sorry so breif the hours I'm pulling mean I must sleep,but I want more then someone else sharpening my work and there is only one way that will happen

take care Jon and again thank you so much for your help and kindness

best always bro

stu