Thread: Great Sage Grouse Portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Sage Grouse Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

I was the only car at the lek and while photographing birds on the drivers side of the car I turned around and saw this guy walk right up to the passenger side of the car. He looked directly at me and gave me this stare. Not sure if I was getting the bedroom eyes or the are you a threat that I need to deal with eyes . I really liked the way back lit birds tale looked. It was way too close to have the whole bird in sharp focus so I made sure I had the head sharp. This is basically full frame but for a tiny bit of cropping as I leveled the shot. Could have gone tighter with the crop but I just think the look at the flared tail is too nice to crop out. From CO, earlier this month. Hand held while I leaned on car door.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 i + 1.4x iii. F8, ISO 1600, SS 1/1600

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.

Edit: not sure where it came from but I fixed the lines that were mentioned by Alex.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 05-25-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, killer stare and fanned out tail feathers. Head looks sharp and details look very nice. I like the crop as is. Did you change the exposure on the background by any chance? I feel like I'm seeing some lines around the edges of the fanned feathers that look like they could be the selection line, but its also possible thats just the backlighting. TFS and very nice capture

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice image Isaac. When I first look at the image I thought that it would benefit by burning the neck a little (or bringing the shadows down) and cloning the dark green spot on the top right corner, but image is really good as presented. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great show of detail Isaac, these birds are very prehistoric looking. You really brought out some of the diverse plumage that this species has. Well done

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice head on view on this interesting bird. I like the symmetry and the fanned tail in the BG. Centered composition works for me in this case. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Isaac. I like how you have captured this portrait with lovely detail and colour on the bird, and the OOF feathers on the BG makes it look very nice indeed.

Will