Thread: What was hiding in the canal (roe deer)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What was hiding in the canal (roe deer)

Hy, this is my first post here. It's a roe deer (capreolus capreolus), taken between 8 and 9 o'clock in the morning. My settings were f 7.1, SS 1/1250, ISO 640, AI Servo, evaluative metering mode with perhaps AF expansion ( dont remember exactly) on a Canon 7D + 1-4 mk II. In lightroom v 5.6 I increased the exposure by 0.10, contrast +5, blacks +10. Then I increased clarity, vibrance and saturation by 5. I sharpened it at 60 with radius beeing 0.5 and detail 30, and masking was set at 80. Noise reduction was set at 10 (luminance) withe detail at 50. I cropped the image, but I don't remember the proportion. There were 2 of them, I stalked them as best as I could, til they dissapeared down a canal which separeted two fields. I aproached as quietly as I could, but at some point I thought the gig was up, and decided to get on my feet, because they seem to have vanished. At his instant one roe deer got up and that's how I got this shot. I have to say iyt was a wonderfull feeling getting so close to a wild animal, a feeling I'll strive to experience more often.http://www.juzaphoto.com/galleria.php?t=2306639&l=en

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bretoteanu - Welcome to BPN and Wildlife! I approved your thread but something is wrong with how you linked the image because it is not showing. I didn't want to delete the post because you had put so much effort into the intro. Please try to post the image again as a reply.

Thanks,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Rachel, that's odd, I click the link and it takes me to the picture, but I'll link the image again, see if it works. It's posted on an italian nature photography website, juzaphoto.com (not advertising a thing).If it's not working then delete my post and I'll try to repost it. Can you tell me what site should I use for linking the image if this one is not working?http://www.juzaphoto.com/galleria.php?t=2306639&l=en

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You need to post it so that it appears directly in this thread rather than having people follow a link to another site. Here are the instructions for posting:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...and-Guidelines

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm trying to post with method 2, copying the URL of the hosted image, but when I click on OK, I get a Invalid file message. Can you suggest a site for linking my image?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As a Limited Member you can still upload it to BPN. That is by far the best way to display your image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  IMG_9498.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  366.7 KB Finally managed to upload it, so let's see what you think, should I keep my camera &lenses or should I try another hobby, like building castles from matchsticks.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

A very warm welcome to BPN Wildlife, Dan

Looking at your exif, I think you should keep your cameras and lenses... well done with this frame, and please forget building castles from matchsticks:)

You have captured a lovely pose from this deer, he is so alert and I like the eye contact. Where was this taken, could you perhaps specify the location?

In terms of composition, I would like a tad more space at the bottom, if you have it. Colours look good to me, very natural. Whites (tail and ears) a bit bright I think, not too much and there's still some detail to be extracted. A tad more sharpening on the face of the subject might be a good idea.

I took the liberty to play around with your image, let me know what you think? Re - cropped for more impact and reduced the brightness of the grass in the BG to make the subject stand out a bit more.

Hope this helps, Dan. Post some more images please, if you have. You will get lots of feedback from the members if you take some time to comment on theirs. It is also a great way to learn. It does not have to be technical stuff, just tell us what makes an impression on you, your likes or dislikes.

Thank you so much for participating in this Forum, really appreciated

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you got the upload sorted. Very nice first image. Techs look good and the eye contact is good. Yes, the whites are a bit hot and you don't mention reducing them or the highlights in LR so give it a try. Ideally, I would prefer just a little more room below. Looking forward to more of your images.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Gabi, thank you for your comments. The picture was taken in a field a litle distance from Goroniste forrest, Bihor county. You are right, there could've been a bit more space at the bottom, but that's how it turned out in Lightroom 5.6. In the future maybe I'll do the cropping with ACDSee, then go back to LR. I like the cropping function of ACDSee, its more friendlier that LR, but I'm trying to do PP in LR. Your version actually looks better than mine, how did you sharpen so well and reduced the grass in BG?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for info, Dan. Not sure what you meant when you mentioned LR 5.6? It is easy to crop in LR. I process my images in both LR and Photoshop CC. Sharpening first in LR and then PSCC. Not familiar with ACDSee at all so I cannot help you there, I am afraid. To tone down the bright BG I reduced some of the yellows in the greens and reduced the blacks (Selective Colour, PSCC). Drop me a PM if you like and we'll have a chat

Have a great evening,

Quote Originally Posted by Bretoteanu Dan View Post
    Hy Gabi, thank you for your comments. The picture was taken in a field a litle distance from Goroniste forrest, Bihor county. You are right, there could've been a bit more space at the bottom, but that's how it turned out in Lightroom 5.6. In the future maybe I'll do the cropping with ACDSee, then go back to LR. I like the cropping function of ACDSee, its more friendlier that LR, but I'm trying to do PP in LR. Your version actually looks better than mine, how did you sharpen so well and reduced the grass in BG?
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bretoteanu -- I am quite late on this, somehow overlooked the thread , but glad i visited it. This is such a nice image with lovely green settings and a very cool looking subject. I would not add anything to what is already said but certainly look forward to see more of your work .

TFS !