Thread: Tree Swallow Portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tree Swallow Portrait

Name:  Tree Swallow on Dead Tree [BPN].jpg
Views: 108
Size:  371.5 KB
    Thanks to the feedback from many of you in here, I've made a lot of changes in how I approach wildlife photography in the past few weeks. I've been spending a lot of time in one spot where I know I can produce a pleasing background in acceptable lighting. Sometimes it's quite a long wait, but eventually someone perches for a quick photo.

D500
    Nikkor 600mm f/4e FL
    1/500
    f/4.5
    ISO-640
    Center Weight Average

Cleveland, Ohio USA
    May 2017
    Partly cloudy, cool, sun at my back a couple hours after sunrise

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The details in the bird are excellent as are the colours. I like the head turn and the fact that the small claws are visible.
    I find the stump a little dominant due to its size and pale colour. ( I suppose if used regularly you could consider splitting the stump to make it a little smaller?)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    The details in the bird are excellent as are the colours. I like the head turn and the fact that the small claws are visible.
    I find the stump a little dominant due to its size and pale colour. ( I suppose if used regularly you could consider splitting the stump to make it a little smaller?)
    Thanks Jonathan! The spot I took this is one of my favorites. There are a few dead trees similar to this one and about 7 cattails at the front of a large marsh. Unfortunately this guy took the biggest perch he could find.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice pose, detail and color! Nice background, worth the wait for sure. I don't mind the perch, maybe darken it a bit so it doesnt pull my eyes from the subject.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome pose and colours. The perch is OK, but since it perched on the far side of it, the front part has been rendered oof due to dof. I usually don't mind that, but since the area is rather large it would have been better sharp. The subject really stands out though, what a beautiful swallow. I'm glad you have been finding some improvements/approach in your bird photography...keep it up, it's a life-long ride!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thompson View Post
    very nice pose, detail and color! Nice background, worth the wait for sure. I don't mind the perch, maybe darken it a bit so it doesnt pull my eyes from the subject.
    Thanks Michael!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Awesome pose and colours. The perch is OK, but since it perched on the far side of it, the front part has been rendered oof due to dof. I usually don't mind that, but since the area is rather large it would have been better sharp. The subject really stands out though, what a beautiful swallow. I'm glad you have been finding some improvements/approach in your bird photography...keep it up, it's a life-long ride!!
    Thanks for pointing out the OOF perch Daniel. It really didn't stick out to me until you mentioned it. I'll be sure to look out for that on big perches next time.