Thread: Yearling Roe Doe? in the molt:Caperolus capreolous (UK)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Yearling Roe Doe? in the molt:Caperolus capreolous (UK)

Attached Images Attached Images

A change from the normal diet of hares for a mo. Taken while waiting for more leverets to appear just after a really good spell with one of the little ones. We spotted this younster I believe, (shes too slight in build to be an adult) heading towards us. I had to quickly pop the ext back on as I suspected reach would be needed,plus I know at 300mm the shutter would have spooked her. As you can see she could hear the shutter but at least I got a few images as the noise wasn't quite enough to unnerve her. Shot in portrait as framed,sweet little thing as you can see she's half way through loosing her winter coat and turning into that stunning vibrant almost orange of the summer coat so charateristic of Roe here. They are a more solitary deer than our fallow and red,but a true native of my country. I love all our deer as regulars here will already know,roe are a tricky subject not so easily found ,but we are seeing them regularly at our hare spot along with muntjac another non native,so it's only a matter of time I hope before more chances come. Sadly i'm elivated from her in the edge of a rape crop and utterly couldn't move to change my POV

1/1250
    f6.3
    iso 2500
    As I say full frame not crop processed in dpp 4.6.10 HH sitting off knee.Active FP on her nose. Many thanks for the thoughts on my previous images

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, a very nice image with great colours, nice detail and pose. Wish there was more room to the right as we see it but I understand your situation. But minor nit. TFS.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu - Nice eye contact with the doe attracted to the sound of the shutter. This was one to shoot in landscape format . It's tight both left and right as a portrait and with a bit too much room above for me. It's also a little thin as posted. I did this in PS. Not sure how you can duplicate it in DPP. The molting fur looks a bit strange but I imagine it does in person too.

TFS,
    Rachel

4. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- Great going , and a very unique and lovely looking subject . Nice green settings to go along with . I like what Rachel has done with her RP as it adds a bit more pop to the subject and the crop helps to elevate the image further .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - Nice eye contact with the doe attracted to the sound of the shutter. This was one to shoot in landscape format . It's tight both left and right as a portrait and with a bit too much room above for me. It's also a little thin as posted. I did this in PS. Not sure how you can duplicate it in DPP. The molting fur looks a bit strange but I imagine it does in person too.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Hiya Rachel,thank you so much for the time for the edit,very kind. i'm unsure whether I can get the same result as you have,but i'm going to have a try later,shifting the gamma might help. He he ,ahh Rachel I am tying myself in a knot every now and again with the shifting from portrait to landscape and back especially with the leverets up close. If you were besides me I think you might be smiling at my antics. But practice makes perfect so I'll keep pushing I need to hone this move from one orientation to the other it's becoming ever more natural though,so I'm really thrilled you have made a point of steering me on this one. That said it was a deliberate choice here,I felt she was going to turn head on to me.this actually might be the first time I am happy I made that choice actually,I guess a personal choice,but as always very grateful for your thoughts!!

Rachel yes in person she looked very strange,their winter coat is really a sort of (greenish) brown, so I presume the grey is actually dead hairs that literally have no life,no sheen, to them. Hopefully I might get more chances a bit later on when their true summer coat is evident,they are gorgeous really vibrant in the summer,i'd love to be able to show that here.

Thank you very much Rachel

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Stu -- Great going , and a very unique and lovely looking subject . Nice green settings to go along with . I like what Rachel has done with her RP as it adds a bit more pop to the subject and the crop helps to elevate the image further .

TFS !
    Cheers Haseeb,they are gorgeous deer it's nice to show you a true native of my country. They are solitary by nature or sometimes live in a small group in winter. We recently saw too bucks sparing it was late sadly and no light, their rut is quite secretive and low key. I have never seen their rut or even two males sparring before so these last few days have been really special for us . I too like what Rachel has done ,

many thanks Haseeb.

Take care

Stu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Impressive field craft I would love to be able to get a shot of a roe deer like this!! I would suggest it needs a little more beefing up as Rachel suggests, I have tried but DPP will not reprocess this mage for me - I don't know why. I would try something along the lines of reducing orange and yellow a tad and then an overall increase in saturation I don't know if it would work but it may help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Impressive field craft I would love to be able to get a shot of a roe deer like this!! I would suggest it needs a little more beefing up as Rachel suggests, I have tried but DPP will not reprocess this mage for me - I don't know why. I would try something along the lines of reducing orange and yellow a tad and then an overall increase in saturation I don't know if it would work but it may help.
    Jon deeply humbling ,the fieldcraft,is just there at the moment, I just seem to be nailing that side over and over. I got in on three last night,had my dream shot of a roe head neck portrait just yards away(she came to me, curiosity) on the cards but just couldn't get high enough for a clean view,then made the most school boy error on framing with a buck. It's the hardest bit of all this for me. I've always had this ,well gift, I call it with animals,yet i'm making school boy errors as I learn the photography which undoes the other side. Hey ho had a long look in the mirror last night,if at first...... Notes on colour appreciated Jon,I think Rachel has made a valid point and I'd like to try and move the image towards the edit if I possibly can.

Thanks for all the help through this Jon .

take care

Stu