Thread: Hiking/Walking on Safari in Tanzania

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hiking/Walking on Safari in Tanzania

I posted this question months ago, but now that the travel forums have been changed and there are many new members, I thought I would try again.

I am planning a safari to Tanzania in January 2009 (already confirmed). I'll be going to Lake Manyara, Serengeti Serena, Ndutu, and Ngorongoro. I've been to each of these places before except Serengeti Serena Lodge. What I would like to do is hike/walk with a ranger. The Ndutu web site for example, states walk in the forest with a ranger. Has anyone done that at Ndutu? How about the other places? Have you gone on a walk with a ranger in these regions? If so, please let me know about your experience,and how you made arrangements. What are your favorite hikes in these areas?

Thanks,
    Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was at the Tarangire National Park and the Serengeti. I was able to go on a 3 mi. walk one afternoon. My Guide and a Masai warrior my guide told me that we do what the Masai say and when he says it or we don't go! This was in the year of 2005.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Harold,
    Thanks for the info. Did you hike in the Serengeti? Is this something you arranged on site or before your trip? I will not be in Tarangire this time but will be in the Serengeti (Serena Lodge) and then to Ndutu.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hiking/Walking on Safari in Tanzania

We didn't go hiking in the Serengeti that far. We did a couple of little walks, these were probably the length of a football field. This was part of our trip it was already prearranged. The Serena Lodge is beautiful I seen it from the distance. We actually camped in tents in the Serengeti.
    I have a set of 61 pictures that is posted in flickr feel free to go and look at them you will find them under the name of Photo By Jr. Under the set name of The Essence of Africa. :)

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Harold,
    Thank you very much!

Roger

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An update:
    I've returned from from Tanzania and had a really great trip. I did 3 hikes, all arranged on site within 24 hours.

Lake Manyara: hiked late afternoon on the east side of the lake. Got nice views of zebras giraffes and others. Encountered 2 masai boys tending cattle and we had a great interaction showing them a video camera and clearly the youngest boy, about 5, had never seen such a device. They spoke no Swahili so even our guide had trouble talking to them. Our guide was not armed.

At Ndutu we hiked a couple of times, one part way around lake Ndutu and back to the lodge. Second time was with a Masai ranger. We were dropped off 7 km to the southwest of the lodge within about 1/4 mile where we photographed lions the day before and hiked back to the lodge. I got some nice images, including running wildebeest. Stunning to me was the density of animal footprints: dozens and dozens per square meter, and every square meter. Then bones--lots of bones everywhere, signs of animals everywhere. The rangers here carried guns. Almost had an encounter with a bull elephant, but turned early enough.

So it is possible to hike and a great way to get exercise and not spend all your time in a safari vehicle.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting an update, Roger. It makes this thread a useful resource for the future. Looking forward to more of your trip images. Your foggy sunrise is spectacular.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.