Thank You Posts

Default Can't stand heights.

Attached Images Attached Images

Harvest Mouse.
    Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm 2.8
    1/2000@f8
    iso 4000.

This one made me smile.Used iso 4000 ti get a shutter speed of 2000 which I like,wonder if this is right?Picked up a bit from one of Gabriela's comments regarding levels and curves that I have been using a lot and like the results,so thanks for that Gabriela.Thanks for your comments on my last post much appreciated .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith -- I think this is extremely cute , actually cuteness overloaded . Loved the composition as well and the caption is fantastic as well . The whole thing is standing out against that lovely backdrop. I loved this one .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brilliance,and there was me extolling the virtues of the last not so very long ago. I absolutley love this Keith the tight grip of the wrap round tail is the icing on the cake for me,just wonderful buddy !!

I'll watch and learn on the techs and also noted the curves comment,for me an outstanding frame again Keith!!
    Fantastic!!

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith? This is awesome! Just goes to show, one does not need eye contact with the subject to make a statement or tell the story:)

Title is very appropriate, BTW. And funny. I am loving this! Perfect composition. Pose is superb, helps us understand what the mouse is experiencing and adds a strong humorous note, which makes it even more special.

This delicate fellow could probably fit in the palm of my hand. I really like the way you portray him here, a very engaging image and quite a narrative on its own. I am thinking you could easily put together a sequence pertaining to the adventures of this little mouse, do give it a try if you can find the time!

Heartfelt thanks for sharing this image - I really think you captured something really special, nice techs too, and I see you are no longer shy to push that ISO

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith - What a cute image! You should have saved it for next month's theme. Are you handholding or using a tripod? I don't think you needed to go so high on ss and ISO, especially if you are using a tripod. Some of the whites on the bud and stem are blown. I would try to tame them a bit more. Keep them coming.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb I'm having real fun with these,thanks Stu going to get one hanging by the tail hopefully.Thanks Gabriela I like and agree about eye contact but the cute subject like this does help,they are tiny and you could get a few on the palm of your hand they are so light they hardly bend a grass stalk when climbing up it,I will give some thought to your idea of sequence it's just a matter of finding the right ones,I was reading one of your comments sometime back when you mentioned levels and curves I have used this a lot and find it really good so thanks for this..Thanks Rachel bit lazy of me about the highlites ,I use a tripod but the light was changing all the time and wanted a fast shutter speed to try to capture any fast action that they might give me,do you think it's detrimental to have this s/s and iso?

Keith.
    Last edited by keith mitchell; 05-20-2017 at 08:04 AM.

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Probably my favourite form the series so far!

Cuteness and humour in the same shot, and then when you look a little more there are details like the tail wrapped round the stalk to add extra interest.

Nice work Keith

Mike

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith - the faster ss is not detrimental unless it causes you to underexpose an image. 4000 ISO is not so high as to be detrimental. For me it is about getting the exposure right with sufficient ss to achieve sharpness for the action or to deal with any outside factors causing vibration (including the photographer, wind, people in vehicle, moving boat, etc). With a tripod you have eliminated most of the sources of vibration so are only dealing with the correct amount for the action. I think with a tripod you could have easily frozen the action here at 1/1000, 1/1250, still with room to spare for sharp images. However, you know these mice and how fast they move so if you have arrived at the conclusion that 1/2000 is best, I respect that. My personal feeling is that how high to go with ISO depends on what you are going to use the photo for and your camera body. If all you want to do is show an image on the web at relatively small size then going very high with ISO is not going to make much of a difference. Similarly if you want to obtain a record shot of an unusual sighting then it is better to get the image. For large prints, I prefer lower ISO images so there is no issue of noise or loss of quality.

Just my thoughts,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, a fascinating image for sure! Very much fun & super duper cute! Love that pose, the BG and the so called "perch"!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike I have been trying to get shots of these mice using that tail it's like a 5th leg to them.Rachel thanks for this I often wonder I know about the beneficial effects of high ISO but never thought about underexposing ,only really use my images for the web but do take your point about noise and image qaulity. Thank you Sanjeev much appreciated.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one of your best images for me, Keith. Such a cool implied story, and the simplicity makes it even more of a hit.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, this is awesome, a real winner in all senses and as these are wild I would think about submitting this to some of the big comps, will help you process if required.

The dome of the perch is blown in parts, but all you do is drop the highlights and it's resolved - simple. Can't see any reason in dropping the SS, as ISO 4000 isn't high for this body and if you had to increase the EV then your SS will drop if light was of a premium. Also if the subject moves you are better off with a higher SS. Nikon files are better with camera bodies below the 1DX and I wish Canon did not produce compressed Raw files, they are also a lot cleaner too with little Contrast. Perhaps try a cable release as you you need then to do is look through the viewfinder and fire the button, reducing any additional camera shake. If you are using Levels then watch 'pinching' the Histogram, if you have the exposure right then you are better off using Curves. There is a quick 'trick' you could do, but you need to master Layers & masks .

You should be extremely pleased with this, very well done.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Morkel very much appreciated.Thanks a lot Steve was happy with this but a bit lazy with the plant seed head,still trying with layers and masks.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot Steve was happy with this but a bit lazy with the plant seed head,still trying with layers and masks.
    If you need a hand - SHOUT!!!

BTW the image is very commercial (££££), if this was four years ago before they got taken over, I would happily have put you in touch with the biggest card outlet in the UK.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith they just get better and better, what a super image - this is competition material. It looks great I have just applied a luminosity mask to the poppy head and just lowering slightly does as Steve says it makes a significant difference.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I will contact you and take you up on your kind offer.Thanks Jon I really appreciate your thoughts.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I will contact you and take you up on your kind offer.
    Out on the hunt tomorrow, will call you Wednesday. Drop me a line if it's not convenient.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Steve I will be in Wednesday morning.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mr Mouse ....
    Priceless good , stunning ...and definitely a picture postcard from my POV .
    Just watch your WF ....as i feel in all postings your HL are very light or even blown ( as posted )
    I am with Steve regarding that .... just learn the use of curves and masks ( lumo masks preferable ) to make controllable local adjustments .Levels .....well yes just to set black and white points , nothing more from my POV .

I do really enjoy mouse postings a lot Keith !!!!

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your kind words Andreas,put layers,curves and masks on my list to try and get my head around but do feel they would just take my images up another level.Steve as given me a lot of help so I will get the book out.Thanks a lot for all the views.

Keith.