Thread: American Goldfinch in Gentle Light

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Goldfinch in Gentle Light

Another shoot at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. There are feeders and a water fountain which attract many species of small birds and turkeys very close to a blind. Fish in a barrel. I think this is a female, because she has no black cap. Two concerns: active BG in NW corner, and the shadow on the wing. I'm eager for your comments.

Name:  american-goldfinch-2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  233.3 KB

Canon 5D IV, 600mm f/4 II, 1.4X TC III for 840mm. Tripod mounted behind a blind.
    1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 400.
    Tone adjustments and lens corrections in LR; sharpening, dodge and burn, and NR reduction on BG in PS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, looks like you were dealing with some harsh light, I would like to see it a bit higher in frame if possible.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, Tim, I'm confused gentle light, harsh light is there irony here am I missing something??? HE he over my head again

Jim, I love the way you seem to get these wonderful complimentary colour palettes in your BKG's to you subjects, again like the last I saw (your robin) the frame as a whole is wonderful for colour. I suspect that Tim's comment is because the breast of your goldie (that's english slang for our goldfinch) is extremely bright leastways for me,so I suspect Tim has seen the same,could I ask for conformation please tim?

Jim that breast is really eye catching,as always I don't have the skill to go further,I'd sumise that one needs a tonal difference betwixt that brest and the lighter patch of bkg behind her but I feel that both need to be pulled back,whilst keeping that tonal separation. Jim for me the top right corner veggies are much less obtrusive .

Sweet little bird one I'm not terribly familar with, but know off, probably from posts here.

cheers for sharing

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Philpott View Post
    Jim, Tim, I'm confused gentle light, harsh light is there irony here am I missing something??? HE he over my head again

Jim, I love the way you seem to get these wonderful complimentary colour palettes in your BKG's to you subjects, again like the last I saw (your robin) the frame as a whole is wonderful for colour. I suspect that Tim's comment is because the breast of your goldie (that's english slang for our goldfinch) is extremely bright leastways for me,so I suspect Tim has seen the same,could I ask for conformation please tim?

Jim that breast is really eye catching,as always I don't have the skill to go further,I'd sumise that one needs a tonal difference betwixt that brest and the lighter patch of bkg behind her but I feel that both need to be pulled back,whilst keeping that tonal separation. Jim for me the top right corner veggies are much less obtrusive .

Sweet little bird one I'm not terribly familar with, but know off, probably from posts here.

cheers for sharing

Stu

Stu, yes it looks to me like harsh light do to the heavy shadows on the back and below the beak plus the over exposed breast.
    If it is gentle light the post is not processed correctly.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu and Tim,

My humble apology. And I'm the humblest photographer on the forum. I was incorrect to write, "gentle light". It looks as if I have more work to do. Thanks, gents for your responses. You keep nudging me to improve my work. And that is valuable. Hello, LR, I'm on my way back to you.

I'm not certain about moving the bird higher in the frame. Wouldn't that put it close to a vertical center? But, then, I'm not only eager to learn, but willing.

The breast too hot? Not a problem. I'll tone that down. Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You know, Stu, you're exactly correct about that bright patch in the BG. I completely missed it. Thanks for the catch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Keener View Post
    Stu and Tim,

My humble apology. And I'm the humblest photographer on the forum. I was incorrect to write, "gentle light". It looks as if I have more work to do. Thanks, gents for your responses. You keep nudging me to improve my work. And that is valuable. Hello, LR, I'm on my way back to you.

I'm not certain about moving the bird higher in the frame. Wouldn't that put it close to a vertical center? But, then, I'm not only eager to learn, but willing.

The breast too hot? Not a problem. I'll tone that down. Thanks.
    Hi Jim, this is a little more to what I was thinking about the position, maybe not as drastic but you get the idea.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tim my apologies I reply often when shattered and a post to you didn't arrive,cheers for the reply sorry the belated thank you.

Jim, mate, i've read you as a lovely guy from the off and adore your sense of humour don't worry on anything no need for apologies. i'm grateful you posted this!!

The bright spot has made me ponder further actually Jim and it's something that I'll learn from. When you framed this, sideways movement (yours) might have been a no go utterly impossible,I'm obviously aware of the blind but have no clue as to size. But if one moved a smidgen right then your cool goldie would/might have , much darker tones behind,and consequently pop like **** . I can't see from the frame but left would be even better apart from the fact one would be moving far more towards a view of the goldie's back,plus there is almost the opposite situation plausible,ie dark on dark dark wings dark bkg.

I didn't really get this on first view Jim,the penny didn't drop but no doubt this is coming into the field with me. Thank you good sir .

take care both

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  goldfinch-03-2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  231.4 KB

What do you think, guys? I did raise the bird in the frame, darken the BG near the bird's breast, and toned down the breast. I like the greater detail that last step gave. Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think when ever we have situations like this with ( Overexposed Breast) we can use Burning and Dodging to darken that part.

It works well.