Thread: Greater Sage Grouse

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Sage Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

While in Colorado I had the great pleasure of visiting a Greater Sage Grouse Lek. This is a bird and an experience that I have been dreaming of since I was a child. Glenn's great shots inspired me even more to take the 3 hour drive and be there at first light. Got up at 2:45 and drove over the rockies to be in the sage at sun up. I was the only person there and had all 47 displaying males to myself. Really a memory that I will never forget. Took a good 1,500 images of these birds and have so many to go through. Have only processed a few of them but here is one that is different than the normal head on shot (I have hundreds of those ) I picked this one because you can see most of the beautiful tail and the the bird, as opposed to missing most of the tail when the bird is facing straight ahead. The skies were gray and it stormed shortly after I left but early in the morning I had a few moments of warmish diffuse light that bled through the clouds.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii. Hand held while leaning on car window. F10, ISO 1250, SS 1/1250

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.